PDA

View Full Version : Why Three Months Is Too Long...

cmherndon
08-19-2005, 02:54 AM
After not shooting a train photo in over three months, a few things start to happen. In fact, I'd even been contacted as to where I'd gone (::cough:: Mr. Paulhamus, ::cough:: ;-) ). So it was a few weeks ago, I hadn't been out in over three months. After that long, a man starts to get withdraw and even possibly forgets how to take a good train photo.

Two weeks ago, Emmett, Randy, and I met up for a day to hang out in and around the Danville area. None of us had been out much, if at all, in the past few months, and the thought of hanging around Danville surely beat the other option of sitting around the house. After watching 294 leave and 22A do some switching, we headed up towards the wye to catch 133, which unfortunately had a catfish leading.

[photoid=115064]

While expecting 143 to be along shortly with a brand new BNSF ES44DC leading, we find out over the radio that it has hit a truck in Georgetown which will delay it for a while. What to do now? Head back to Danville where the action is. At Danville, we catch 144 and 177 before running over to the Mickey D's for some lunch and meeting up with Greg. 167 arrives at the yard about the same time we get back, and I even managed to shoot a high sun roster shot :shock: of it which will probably never see the light of day. See, I told you I forgot how to take a good train picture. 215 arrives about a half hour later, and we finally hear 143 on the move again.

Hearing that 143 will be turning their power at the wye, we figure that'll be the best place to catch it. By early reports of what the train had hit, I expected the damage to be extensive on the front end, but it really wasn't all that bad.

[photoid=115065]

175 is right on their tail with NS 9820 leading. That locomotive was delivered sometime in early 2004, and it's still in primer. Another hour passes, and we see 44A which also has a catfish. Luckily, 123 is relatively close behind them with an ex-N&W SD40-2 leading. Even better is that's 1627, which is one of a few high-hood N&W SD40-2's. It's just a shame it didn't have the "horn of the gods" on it.

[photoid=115068]

123 also had an high hood SD40-2 painted in CP colors, but lettered for NREX. Behind that was another damaged locomotive in the way of NS 6804.

http://www.cmherndon.com/ontheground/ns6804windshield

Figuring 123 would be a nice catch south of Danville, we head to Palm only to discover that the light sucks at this time of the year. So, we settled for shots at Moreland. While waiting for the train, I took the time to do a little bit of floral photography in front of the Moreland Baptist Church. The geraniums and petunias looked very nice in the late afternoon light.

http://www.cmherndon.com/nonrail/pinkgeraniums

http://www.cmherndon.com/nonrail/geraniumpetunia

Well, 123 finally shows up and my shot royally sucked due to some "arboreal crap" which cluttered up the photo in places where I couldn't Photoshop it out. Go figure.

On our way back to the house, we all stop at Junction City to shoot 251 which smelled kind of fishy.

http://www.cmherndon.com/03d20580.jpg

And what would one of these trip reports be without an outtake? Yeah, I don't know either. While 251 is rolling by, I manage to catch Emmett, Greg, and Randy all doing the "digital bow" at the same time.

http://www.cmherndon.com/outtakes/digitalbow/

Ah yes, the joys of the digital camera. Thus ends another exciting day of railfanning. I'll try and promise that it won't be three months before the next round of photos, but I make no guarantees. Until next time...

Hope y'all enjoy, and thanks for looking!

John J. Poshepny
08-19-2005, 03:23 AM
Mr. Herndon,
Thanks for sharing. I'd be jumping off a bridge If I didn't go out for 3 months.

dodi4200
08-19-2005, 01:19 PM
3 months thats really abig time.
but really nice report and nice pix specially the flowers :)

E3429
08-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Nice shots. Agreed-3 months would be wayyyyy too long. Is NS taking the horns off some SD40's and putting them on the wide cabs? Seems like I've been fooled by a few that turned out to be run of the mill GE trash.

cmherndon
08-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks, guys.

Is NS taking the horns off some SD40's and putting them on the wide cabs? Seems like I've been fooled by a few that turned out to be run of the mill GE trash.

Probably. I've been fooled by a few as well.

NicTrain35
08-19-2005, 10:25 PM
Nice shots, Caleb.

mtrails
08-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Great trip report!

I don't recall exactly, but I hadn't been out for about three months myself, mostly due to bad weather, usually on the weekends when I do most of my railfanning. Go figure. Yeah, when you look at the last photo you took and realize, "wow, has it been that long!?!?"

ccaranna
08-20-2005, 01:49 AM
Nice report and shots, Caleb. I don't think you could forget how to take a good train photo. It's like riding a bike, you never forget!!

I saw the 133 today, and I'm sorry to report another pair of catfish were leading it.

As far as "albino" catfish are concerned, I got a peek of the 9827 still in primer last weekend. The shot is definitely not RP.net quality, but I was trying out some new locations and angles on a cloudy day, and the result below is what I was able to come up with.

Oh, and by the way, the "Digital Bow" is an instant classic! :lol: