View Full Version : newbie question - the sequal

10-05-2003, 11:14 PM

what is it called when a photo looks like that?

oversharpened? I really want to know, becuase I've seen quite a few of those in the last two days....like it's not grainy, or dark, or anything, but it just doesn't look right...what is that called?

10-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Hmm. Artifacts in the sky and the locomotive
appears to be oversharpened. Sometimes, bad
processing can ruin a good photo.


10-06-2003, 03:08 AM
alrighty...so it's oversharpened....

Dave Kerr...Dave Kerr????!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: oh my, you take some of the best photos in this database! :shock:

E.M. Bell
10-06-2003, 04:28 PM
Not really a oversharp problem, but to much high end JPG commpression.

Typically in a case of oversharpening, you will notice that the image will "pixelize", more so in dark or low contrast areas, and in some cases you can almost count the pixels (the dots that make up the image on the screen) It can also make it look like a dirty scan.

JPG commpression just means the file was saved at either a very high or very low JPG setting, and the image will get "fuzzy", most noticable in high contrast or very bright areas.

I am not sure about other image programs, but photoshop will allow you to choose differnt JPG setting (ie..high, medium ect) when you save a file for web. Depending on the size of the image, and how big of a file you want, you can change these setting to get the desired look. I almost always use the highest setting for RP submissions..

While on the subject of saving files, here is a tip. When sizing your image before saving, in the box that allows you to choose image resolution, always use a res of 72. There are very very few (if any) computer monitors out there that can display any graphic higher than 72 DPI. Use this setting, and your file size will be much smaller, allowing for faster upload/download speeds, without losing image quality.

10-06-2003, 10:06 PM
thanks for all that info :)