PDA

View Full Version : Your choice in film.

S.C. Vermillion
10-15-2003, 01:41 AM
I am new to the 35mm SLR camera thing. I use to take all my railroad pictures with a Toshiba Digital camera. But after many bad pictures and the lack of features that a good SLR has. I decided to purchase a Olympus IS 50QD SLR camera. I have taken good pics with Fuji Velvia and Kodak Elite chrome slide film. But then I tried Kodak HD color negative film and it has produced better pics than the Slide films I have tried. I cant find a dealer around that sells Fuji Provia III. But I am sold on the Kodak HD negative film.

Robert28
10-15-2003, 09:43 PM
Hey Shawn,

The HD seems to be good film I've shot a few rolls of it. One of the main things about shooting prints is who processes them. I was having some quality issues and tried changing films and shooting technique. Finally I took some film to a different lab and the results were much better. I've been experimenting with Kodak Portra 400UC film. It is a fine grain neg film with a high color saturation. First roll of it looked good. All in all I would experiment and see what works for you. I'd stay away from anything above ISO 400 speed because the grain starts to get pretty rough. Hope this helps.

Robert

nevardmedia
10-18-2003, 12:48 AM
Robert,

Just been looking at your scans - are they scanned stright from the neg? The quality it great!

Shawn,

I just tried the Kodak HD film (new heer in the UK) for some holiday pics a week or two back (alas no trains). The contast and colour definition is excellent.

Robert28
10-18-2003, 06:27 AM
Robert,

Just been looking at your scans - are they scanned stright from the neg? The quality it great!

Shawn,

I just tried the Kodak HD film (new heer in the UK) for some holiday pics a week or two back (alas no trains). The contast and colour definition is excellent.

Thanks. :) They are flatbed scans from prints for the most part. Some are scans of slides that I had done. But most are scanned prints. I'll scan them at high resolution and then clean them up in Paint Shop Pro 7.

Robert

railfanzone
10-22-2003, 09:00 PM
I used to use print film (Kodak Max and Fuji Superia), but since I tried a roll of Kodachrome 64 a few years ago, there's no looking back! Actually, my main film is Fuji Provia 100F. But my bag always contains:
Fuji Provia 100F
Fuji Provia 400
Kodachrome 64
Agfa Scala 200

And I switch depending on mood/conditions/desired results.

The only negative film I currently use is black & white, whether it's Kodak, Illford, etc....

-Tom

yardmaster
11-02-2003, 06:11 AM
I use only the finest in expired, inexpensive film. Oh wait...My Barbie squeeze 'n fun, is a disposable :lol: ... Sorry, my bad! I don't believe in spending 8 bucks on a roll of film, after all, thats half a weeks salary for this 'ol boy :lol: . Thats 2/3 of a 12er of Bud light. :D