PDA

View Full Version : I'm Considering A Career Change...

Gregory Wallace
10-15-2003, 09:25 PM
Are there such things as hobos anymore? I'm talking about the guys who would furtively jump in boxcars and ride the train. I've heard stories, seen movies and remember my great-grandfather talking about them, but I wondered if such a thing is still done.

Thanks,
Gregory

Guilford350
10-15-2003, 11:00 PM
Yes, there still are hobos that ride trains regularly. Many illegal train riders are often killed or seriously injured when boarding or jumping off the train. I don't think there are as many hobos as there used to be.

Robby
10-16-2003, 03:27 AM
Hobo's are alive and well. Check out this guy kicked back in the lap of luxury!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=35763

Robby

Gregory Wallace
10-16-2003, 04:10 AM
Hobo's are alive and well. Check out this guy kicked back in the lap of luxury!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=35763

Robby

Now that's living large! :D

Where do I sign up?

mu23
11-13-2003, 03:30 AM
Back before the car was the main form of transportation, migrant workers got around by hopping freight trains. Many were considered to be undesirable foreigners: Irish, German, Swedes, Italians, Poles, Russians, Norwegians, Welsh, etc - in other words our great grandparents. There were tens of thousands of them on the rails at any given time, especially during harvest time. They even organized under the IWW in the early teens, had what was called the "thousand mile picket line" and those not holding a red-card often couldn't ride the train! Organization was necessary as migrants were often preyed upon by unscrupulous train crews, police departments, and farm owners - much as they are today. The idea that they were all bums is in error and a disservice to their memory. Today the number of people doing the same is negligible, though the numbers often go way up during recessions/depressions. There have always been recreational hobos, but they were/are a distinct, and often looked own upon group. If you ever take it up, the RR police will treat you better if they are under the impression you are doing it out of economic necessity. "Foamers" will be given a very hard time, so take some bail money with you, though showing up in a big yard sportin' L.L. Bean or Cabelas hobo gear, will just get you rolled anyway. All in all, you'd be better off taking a good IT course if you want to change careers. Oh and never try and get on a moving train and never do what they do in the movies and throw your pack on the car first, often the train picks up speed and there goes your gear! And chock the boxcar door; scores of corpses are removed every year from cars that people got trapped in.

Gregory Wallace
11-14-2003, 02:09 PM
...though showing up in a big yard sportin' L.L. Bean or Cabelas hobo gear, will just get you rolled anyway.

...and you'd deserve it.

csxdave
11-15-2003, 01:53 AM
Hobos are still out there. Earlier this week I observed a "rider" under the slope sheet on a covered hopper running north from Jacksonville toward Savannah. I'd bet the slack was fun on that train has he was riding about nine from the rear.

Dubbin1
11-18-2003, 03:29 AM
I saw a show on TV a few years ago on this subject. You get people from all walks of life jumping on trains. They was even interviewing a lawyer and a doctor before they jumped a train. :shock: I have a buddy that tried it when he was a kid. Now he limps along with a prosthetic leg.

Dwayne