PDA

View Full Version : I need help/work on photo quality..

Wonka001
10-28-2005, 05:44 AM
I use a Cannon EOS 650, with a cannon ultrasonic Zoom lens Ef 22-55mm.
I send the film in, and get a set of prints along with a disk with the images on them. The prints come out good, however, when I look at the images, they tend to be quite grainy, and poor quality. the pictures come back at over 3300 pixels (very large in size). Is it the quality of the camera, photo processor, film, or just the nut behind the wheel? what's amiss here? any ideas?
For editing my photos I use Corel Photopaint.

brunswickrailfan
10-28-2005, 01:18 PM
My guess is that they are scannign the prints...and if the print is grainy, the scan will be even grainier...

LAHDPOP
10-28-2005, 03:04 PM
It makes a huge difference who is doing the processing, and how they're doing it. Around here, for example, I tried Super Wal-Mart and CVS for their photo discs. Wal Mart's looked great. CVS's looked like complete crap. Both sets of prints looked fine, for el-cheapo processing, but there was amazing difference in the images on the discs.

Cyclonetrain
10-29-2005, 03:42 AM
Out of all the places I've had my film processed (Wolf Camera, Wal Mart, some local idependent place, Walgreens, My HP S20 Negative scaner) and put on disks, I have to say Walgreens has done the nicest. Almost no degrading grain (Using ISO 200 film) and the colors were accurate.

ddavies
11-15-2005, 12:40 PM
I love Bret's signature ... my son has ADD.

Oh, yes, film. Actually, that is the nature of the beast. I would expect that they scanned the negative, not the print (you should be able to tell by very closely examining the negative, print and digital for any signs of missing info on one or the other (cropping).

I have medium format negs from years ago that actually look worse as scanned images than (when scanned at high resolution) than the digital stuff I shoot today.