PDA

View Full Version : Saturday fall foliage

4kV
10-30-2005, 04:34 AM
Ike and I headed down to Valmeyer this afternoon before I went in to work. Our aim was to catch some fall colors after seeing the southbound track 2 signal at Dupo change to clear. Had it not been for that, we likely would have spent another fine afternoon quest for trains driving around East Saint Louis dodging potholes, broken bottles, trash, open sewer lids, transvestite hookers, dead bodies, bricks, burning cars, stolen cars, abandoned cars, mattresses, derelict furniture, stray dogs, dead dogs, rabid dogs, used tires, and the occasional spray of semi-automatic gunfire.

Our first stop was at Harris Road to wait for the southbound, CNAAE 27:

[photoid=123543]

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=212775

We knew MPIPB 28 was going to head south after spotting him at Dupo making a bad order set out. We went up into Valmeyer and saw that the signals were dark, so we decided to head back home with one train under our belt. As luck sometimes has it, just before we got on the highway, we spotted MPIPB 28 heading south, so we turned around back toward Valmeyer. Of course, I had to get behind the Saturday afternoon fall foliage motorcylce tour. Although it was only a pair of motorcycles, I was unable to pass them. Thankfully MPIPB 28 was a speed restricted train, with its requisite steel pipe loads stacked above the gondola endwalls, situated right behind LPG tank cars. I believe someone is hoping to turn a large section of acreage into a smoldering crater blocking a train this way. We got back to Valmeyer for this shot:

[photoid=123542]

After this train left, we attempted to leave again. The signal at Val was red, yet there was a train coming down at us. Obviously, this train was running on the reds and yellows of MPIPB 28, a position I would not want to be in given the slow speed of that train. The second train was IOAMN 22:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=212778
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=212779

Ike's shot of IOAMN 22:

[photoid=123629]

Nothing else was visible or lined up on the signals, so we again departed for home. At least the southbounds were flowing. Northbounds were a different story, with ZMQDU, probably a KMNOA, and what looked like an AMXAS sitting at DD, Bottom, and Warnock, respectively. So, for the short time we were out, it turned out to be a satisfactory day. We got a few southbounds with the fall colors.

cmherndon
10-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Very nicely done, Pat. I never knew there were hills in Illinois. :D

Had it not been for that, we likely would have spent another fine afternoon quest for trains driving around East Saint Louis dodging potholes, broken bottles, trash, open sewer lids, dead bodies, bricks, burning cars, stolen cars, abandoned cars, mattresses, derelict furniture, stray dogs, dead dogs, rabid dogs, used tires, and the occasional spray of semi-automatic gunfire.

Always a great way to test your car's handling or ground clearance.

4kV
10-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Funny you say that, I was going to make mention of this tidbit of information in my caption, but I didn't. Yep, there are some hills here in Illinois, contrary to what some might think, although that is about the extent of them here in this immediate area around St. Louis. The UP Chester Subdivision, however, transverses some of this very scenic Illinois landscape......

Tree....

[photoid=95575]

Dirt....

[photoid=97192]

Snow and dirt....

[photoid=90338]

Um, I guess nothing really....

[photoid=55836]

More dirt....

[photoid=82766]

It doesn't get much more scenic than this anywhere else on the globe. Look at the beautiful landscape, the majestic trees, the sweeping curves, vibrant rivers, breathtaking foreground, awesome background. I feel very slighted that none of these were considered for POTW.....

LAHDPOP
10-30-2005, 01:37 PM
LMAO ! :grin:

At least your fall color pictures actually had trains in them. The best I've gotten so far is empty rails!

Ween
10-30-2005, 08:45 PM
And your shadow...

LAHDPOP
10-30-2005, 11:20 PM
And your shadow...

Heheheh. I had to prove to my wife I was there.

busyEMT
10-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Heheheh. I had to prove to my wife I was there.

can i borrow the picture?

4kV
10-31-2005, 02:43 AM
Had it not been for that, we likely would have spent another fine afternoon quest for trains driving around East Saint Louis dodging potholes...... and the occasional spray of semi-automatic gunfire.

Here's a news story from good ole E. St. Louis from today (10-30-2005.) I'll be darned, there really was the occasional spray of semi-automatic gunfire. What a lovely town. See? I wasn't kidding. It's good for trains, though.

(KSDK) - East St. Louis police are investigating a triple shooting that left one man dead and two others injured. Police say the men were shot with an AK-47.

Police were called to the 1600 block of North 47th Street early Saturday after reports of gunfire in the neighborhood.

When officers arrived, they found shell casings from two different weapons.

No one is in custody.