PDA

View Full Version : Factors

Robert28
10-17-2003, 02:07 AM
Alrighty I'll throw this idea out. First leave the film v. digital debate :twisted: and any other camera/equipment issues out of this and lets discuss what factors go into making a good shot. I feel like the main thing is lighting/weather. A lot of my shots have a white/gray sky because most were shot this year and blue skies have been few and far between. Some people advocate only shooting in perfect light. I say go whenever there is a train and do the best with what you have to work with.

I think the next major item is layout of the location. Can you move around and look at it from several different angle. Can be hard sometimes mainly due to tresspassing issues.

Any other ideas?

Robert

iCe
10-17-2003, 03:44 AM
I agree that weather is important. As you all know I do not have a good camera. When there's bad lighting, this really shows.

However, on a nice sunny day, it can turn out some pretty decent photos. Too bad lots of overcast skies these days... :(

300 posts :D

willie6622
10-17-2003, 05:49 PM
I'm a location guy. I see a spot that looks like it will make for a good background, & I'll wait all day for 1 train. I do take the occasional "roster" shot, but I really enjoy catching a train in the right place in the right light.
I guess if everyone took the exact same kind of shot it would be rather boring. I'm glad everyone seems to like different angles/ backgrounds etc..

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=735

Guilford350
10-17-2003, 06:54 PM
I feel like the main thing is lighting/weather.

I totally agree with you there. If you have good weather, then chances are there will be good lighting. But if you have bad weather, then most likely the lighting will suffer. So lighting/weather is definately a major factor in photography.

I'm the type who will take photos of trains no matter where they are located. So if the setting or location seems bad, I'll still go take my chances, at least I'll get a few good ones. :)

ICE, congrats on the 300!

petertenthije
10-17-2003, 07:55 PM
As a plane enthiousiast I'd say location!

The weather can be worked with. Is it raining a lot? Make some spray shots! Has it just rained? Reflection shots! Gusty winds? Wide angle shots with some background (so tat based on the angle of the plane you can see it is buffeting)! Prefer good weather though, I may be Dutch but that does not mean I want to get wet!

As a train spotter, anywhere near a station will do! I'm not motivated enough to go to some really good middle-of-nowhere place! :D

(worst part is that I am not even joking here :shock:)

iCe
10-17-2003, 08:00 PM
I like middle of nowhere shots.

BUT...

a) they are usually very far away
b) we only get one or two trains per day at these places

Robert28
10-18-2003, 05:50 AM
Hmmm..middle of nowhere shots. Ok try this first shot. Looks like it could be middle of nowhere. Actually it is in the middle of a fairly dense suburban area of Knoxville, TN.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=35915

This second one however is the middle of nowhere. On NS's CNO&TP 2nd district(aka The Rathole). It's several miles up narrow road to get to Camp Austin but well worth it.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=20390

Robert

petertenthije
10-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Robert28
Hmmm..middle of nowhere shots. Ok try this first shot. Looks like it could be middle of nowhere. Actually it is in the middle of a fairly dense suburban area of Knoxville, TN.

That is never going to be possible here in the Netherlands. You know what my definition is of middle-of-nowhere? Anywhere more than a 15 minute WALK away from the nearest bus stop/train station.

You just got to love the Netherlands and its 16 odd million inhabitants. Second most crowded country in the world after Japan.