View Full Version : A guy's night out . . .

11-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Late thursday afternoon, I recieved a call from my good friend Matt, his brother Jeff was in town for a couple of days. He wanted to know if I wanted to head south with them and check out some spots on the BNSF River Sub and the UP's DeSoto Sub. I said sure, and they quickly showed up at my house.

During the daylight hours we were out, we didn't see one thing. It was dead pretty much everywhere. Because there wasn't anything going on, we decided to go all the way down to DeSoto, MO to see if anything was going on at UP's massive car shop there. When we arrived at DeSoto, we were presented with a variable cornucopia of nothing. So we decided to head back to Crystal City where two locomotives were sitting in the BNSF's yard. The lighting wasn't good in the day light, however, there were plenty of lights for a good night shot.

It was dark when we got back to Crystal City, as we were heading to the BNSF, we heard UP's LSH08 local on the radio. They were switching the Crystal City Industrial Lead, when we got up to Shapiro Brothers (a scrap dealer), I became even more excited to see the local used a pure Mo-Pac caboose. This was true down-home railroading and the crew graciously offered to keep the train still for a couple of seconds so I could get some shots. I came away with one shot that really stood out, it reminded me of photos taken in the mid-to-late 70s when cabooses were normal and crews were large.


After that, we proceded back to the BNSF's yard, only to find that the SD40-2 that had been sitting there had in fact been picked up on the last NB train. Luckily, the power assigned to the local was still there and it made a good shot. Two BN cabooses were in the yard there as well.


At this point Jeff needed to get back home for dinner with his girlfriend.

Matt and I then went back out and rushed up to O'Fallon, IL in hopes of getting a shot of the B&O CPLs lit, as these 75-80 year old signals will be removed from service soon. Unfortunately, the train was eastbound, not west, and was long gone by the time we got there. We decided it was time to go home, but not after a stop in Dupo to see what items were sitting in the yard. I shot power sitting in the yard and MNLTR waiting for a signal at North Dupo.



After that it was back home for Matt and I. Needless to say, I slept good that night.

11-23-2005, 04:29 AM
Very nice pictures, John. Thanks for sharing.

12-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Very cool might shots 8-) ;-)

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get those?

12-07-2005, 09:50 PM
-long exposure

12-07-2005, 11:47 PM
I know how to do that but I dont have the chance with the few trains around Freeport. In Polo there is plenty of trains but they never stop for an op. like that.

12-08-2005, 03:38 AM
-long exposure

The man is correct.