PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Weekend in Southside Virginia

VirginiaSouthern
11-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Was up at my parents house in Keysville this weekend and decided it was the perfect place to try out my new Rebel XT. Started off snapping a few shots of the 2 Virginia Southern GP38s. I wish now that I had gone back that afternoon and take them when the sun was out. Then I'd have them for you to see here. Oh well, live and learn. That's what next time is for.

So after that, I headed out to Green Bay (Virginia) about 15-20 min West of the yard in Crewe. I had a perfect shot setup on the bridge. Took a few test shots to get my settings right and waited. Scanner started buzzing from the Goodwin DD (MP4.5 on the Farmville Belt Line) alerting me that Q174 (daily Westward manifest) was closing on my location. A few minutes later, I hear the train clearing a crossing then it comes around the curve into view. I snap a few pics of it and decide to head home (I was up there to see my folks after all).

On my way back to the truck I'm checking the shots and notice the lighting is terrible. I look at the function knob and notice that I had in advertantly put
the camera on auto the last time I turned it off and when I turned it back on failed to switch it to manual. :x

Well, I wasn't going to end the day without at least one good shot. So to make a long story short I ended up chasing Q174 throughout the Western half of the Southside VA region until I finally caught this shot just west of Appomattox.

[photoid=126578]

All that travel for one good shot. I will certainly have better luck next time I make my way up to Virginia. Next up, hopefully, will be the South Carolina Central in two weeks.

dodi4200
11-28-2005, 10:27 AM
nice shot and hope you alot of nice pix in the next time.
good luck.

NicTrain35
11-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Great shots and thanks for sharing your report! :)

VirginiaSouthern
11-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Thanks Nick! Here's hoping for better luck next time.