PDA

View Full Version : CompactFlash Memory Question

LAHDPOP
12-10-2005, 03:41 AM
Hey, I was just checking out different brands/types of CF Memory, and noticed varying read and write speeds. Does this only affect data transfer from the card to a computer, or does it affect how fast the camera is able to process image data, and move on to the next picture? I'd hate to buy a new Rebel XT only to find I'm bogging it down with slow memory.

Frederick
12-10-2005, 04:20 PM
I'd assume both. I have a couple 128MB CF cards, and they work perfectly fine. I don't have the original package, so I don't know what the read and write speeds are.

busyEMT
12-10-2005, 04:41 PM
The speed relates to the card itself. The camera will have a maximum frame-per-second speed regardless of card. So maybe the faster the card, the sooner 5 fps will be written and the sooner you can blast off 5 more shots.

Ween
12-10-2005, 05:31 PM
So maybe the faster the card, the sooner 5 fps will be written and the sooner you can blast off 5 more shots.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Which for railfanning, write speeds pretty much mean nothing to me since I don't really have a need to be blasting off 9 fps only to have to turn to get another train and blast off another 9 fps...

busyEMT
12-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Which for railfanning, write speeds pretty much mean nothing to me since I don't really have a need to be blasting off 9 fps only to have to turn to get another train and blast off another 9 fps...
That is part of my ancient Chinese secret. I pop off several telephotos, widen out the lens and end up getting multiple pictures per train. I easily take home 140 frames to look at on my computer. Even at that, I use a generic brand with low write speeds.

Ween
12-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I pop off several telephotos, widen out the lens and end up getting multiple pictures per train. I actually do this too, but 99.9% of the time, the telephoto shots taken before widening out turn out better (at least in my eyes). I love the long telephoto shots...

ddavies
12-16-2005, 11:27 PM
My first cards were rated about 2X. Just about a year ago, I got an 80X "Pro" card. This sucker flies, and I can almost hold down the button on my D70 and it will keep shooting, rather than stop after 4 or 5.

80X were rare, no clue where I got it, from the web, but the computer I was using at the time died.

alan-crotty
03-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi

Compact flash cards have various write speeds measured in megabytes/second, cameras have write speeds too, not the frames per second that you can take photos at, but the speed that the camera transfers it's data to the card, also measured in Mb/sec.

During picture taking there is no point in using a card that is quicker than the camera, your just wasting money. There is a gain in using faster cards when you use a fast card reader to transfer to your computer.

To check out card/camera write speeds go to

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
Where you will find an excellent data base for most cards/Digital SLRs.

Alan