PDA

View Full Version : RAW work flow

Ween
12-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Here's a thread to post about how you handle your RAW work flow. I'm experimenting with RAW, and just want to see how others post process with it. Thanks!!!

VirginiaSouthern
12-17-2005, 07:32 PM
I usually convert it to a jpg with the least compression it will allow, then process it (lighting, sharpness, etc.) in Photoshop.

busyEMT
12-17-2005, 08:49 PM
What kind of software did you get with your XT? Once I transfer them to a folder I go through and use the RAW viewer to look at them. There is a scale to increase or decrease "exposure" up to 2 steps. I then convert them to a JPEG in the default settings of the program (dpi, etc.) and then USM, contrast and such in PS.

I am at work and do not remember the name of Canon's RAW viewer. Is your camera in the CRW2 file?

VirginiaSouthern
12-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Zoombrowser and RAW Image Convertor came with the XT. Off the cam they have a .CR2 extension.

busyEMT
12-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Same bundle as mine. It is much faster than the FujiFilm's software and even an earlier version of Canon's.

The histogram does wonders so I don't waste time converting photos not worth working on.

VirginiaSouthern
12-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Exactly. Its also lightyears better than the zoom browser that came with my Canon PS200.

Ween
12-18-2005, 03:42 AM
use the RAW viewer to look at them. There is a scale to increase or decrease "exposure" up to 2 steps.

Which viewer and where is this scale? I used Digital Photo Professional to do my first edit (WB stuff), saved to TIFF, editted using PS, then saved as JPEG.

busyEMT
12-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Last night I just happened to flip through the software manual that came with the camera. It states on the first page, this feature is not available with the 300, 350, and other D cameras.

Bryan Jones
12-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Here's a thread to post about how you handle your RAW work flow. I'm experimenting with RAW, and just want to see how others post process with it. Thanks!!!

I myself have been using the BreezeBrowser RAW conversion program since April 2003 when I moved up to a Canon D30. I've been shooting a 10D since March 2004 and continued to use Breezebrowser, though earlier this year I started trying the Adobe RAW converter in Photosho Elements 3.0 and in many cases prefer the results in this program over Breezebrowser, especially after redoing some of my D30 shots. I still use both programs though, depending on what the photo is like. In BreezeBrowser I do the RAW conversion saving as a JPEG then do any cropping and sharpening in PS Elements. When doing the RAW Conversion in PS Elements, I convert the RAW file, do my cropping and sharpening and then save as a JPEG.

Bryan Jones

Ween
12-20-2005, 09:12 PM
I found the RAW Image Editor or whatever it is on my laptop. For whatever reason, my desktop system will not allow all of the bundled Canon software to be loaded, but my laptop did. Unfortunately, the laptop is lacking on RAM, so image processing on it is not an attractive option. I could use the RAW editor on the laptop, save to thumb drive, then do the rest on the desktop, but that's too much effort. Digital Photo Professional seems to be doing the trick.

I think I may be liking shooting in RAW. Maybe it's just me or maybe it's just the winter lighting, but I think my shots are turning out a little better than when I was shooting JPEG. Who knows, but I think I'll stick to it for now...

bah
01-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Need some help here. After burning RAW files from Canons DPP or EOS Viewer Utility, I can't get the files to open. In attempting to open the CR2 file, the computer directs me to choose which program I want to open the file. Canon EOS Viewer Utility is picked, then the Viewer Utility opens with the last photos I had on the program. When trying to open in Digital Photo Professional, it says this file is not a valid Win32 application. Help!
Tried everything I know, but keep going back to the previously file that was up in the Utility program.
Learning as I go....

busyEMT
01-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Need some help here. After burning RAW files from Canons DPP or EOS Viewer Utility, I can't get the files to open. In attempting to open the CR2 file, the computer directs me to choose which program I want to open the file. Canon EOS Viewer Utility is picked, then the Viewer Utility opens with the last photos I had on the program. When trying to open in Digital Photo Professional, it says this file is not a valid Win32 application. Help!
Tried everything I know, but keep going back to the previously file that was up in the Utility program.
Learning as I go....

This happened often to me as well. I don't right click and "open with..." any more; now I open the program from its shortcut/start menu. It is annoying how the Viewer Utility automatically opens the last folder it was in.

Use the menu on the left to open the burned disc or folder where the CR2s are located.

Callufrax
11-05-2006, 03:15 PM
I somehow managed to lose my EOS 300D software. No idea where I left it. Got lost when I last moved house (just over a year ago). From this thread, I get the impression that PS Elements does a far better job anyhow. Would I be right in thinking that?

alan-crotty
11-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Yes I think you'd be correct in that assumption Elements is pretty goo, not a ba eitor either, an much cheaper than full PS.

The best RAW converter I've found is CaptureOne LE from PhaseOne

http://www.phaseone.com/

Alan

Callufrax
11-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Yes I think you'd be correct in that assumption Elements is pretty goo, not a ba eitor either, an much cheaper than full PS.

The best RAW converter I've found is CaptureOne LE from PhaseOne

http://www.phaseone.com/

Alan
I decided to download the PS Elements trial version. Seems ok. Gonna go get CaptureOne LE, as well.

For the last year, I've been using The Gimp to view and export RAW files. But it's a little tedious, after a while, doing it one by one.