PDA

View Full Version : CSX in Western Maryland, 28 Dec 05

VirginiaSouthern
01-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Well, this past week I got enjoy some leave and time spent with my fiance up in the Winchester, VA area. While I was there, I made plans to meet up in Winchester with a friend of mine from Hagerstown, MD. We were deciding where we should head. There was nothig running in Winchester atm and most NS and W&W trains up around Hagerstown were running at night due to track construction.

So after a quick grab of some coffee and a schmuffin from Sheetz, it was decided to head to Maryland just east of Harpers Ferry. We ended up at a great little spot in Weverton. This was a great spot. Two signals (there was also a signal bridge about a 1000 yards down, but we didn't feel like walking there) and a nice curve to catch more than just a locomotive. We ended up by the signal box which sat on an elevated mound of about 2'. This gave us a great vantage point.

Now, the bad thing about this day is the sun was going in and out constantly. I got plenty of great pictures, but as most of them are slightly cloudy, they are not RP worthy. I'll stick a link at the bottom of this if anyone cares to view the rest of the pictures. I will list the trains in order as we saw them and the ones who had RP photos, I'll post them.

First up we had Eastbound Q226 (auto train) with a UP C44-9W on the headend and a leased B39-8 in secoond.

Next we had D790, a Westbound mixed frieght with a GP40-2/slug combo on the headend and a GP38-2 in the Dark Future scheme behind them.

Next up (and the only RP worth shot from Weverton) was Eastbound S401.

[photoid=129370]

Following shortly behind S401 was Amtrak's Capitol Limited racing through towards DC.

After the Capitol Limited passed, we decided to head a little further east and see what was going on at Brunswick yard and WB tower.

No sooner do we get there and exit our vehicles then the scanner starts buzzing with activity. I position myself against the fence just in time to catch Q261 (empty auto train) heading west.

[photoid=129298]

About 10-15 minutes after Q261 has passed we spot K951, known as the rock runner (gee, I wonder what it carries :roll: ), heading west.

Walking west from where the restored MARC depot is located, we found a tied up coal drag waiting for a crew. Normally this nothing out of the ordinary, except that on this day we found it attached to all NS power.

[photoid=129301]

Heading back towards WB tower, we find Q400 heading West with a UP AC4400CW-CTE on the head end.

Finally to finish up our day we have Westbound Q414.

[photoid=129299]

There were a few more trains, but the sun was starting to get low. It was a bit chilly that day for me (hey, I've spent almost 2 years in SC now), but some creamy tomato soup with my sub at lunch and plenty of trains to see, certainly helped.

For the rest of the photos, http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5052

Cheers,

hoydie17
01-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Nice photos T-bone, let me know next time you come into that neighborhood, I live in Centreville, VA, but the CSX Cumberland/Metropolitan subs are my favorite haunts. I usually find my way up there 3 to 4 times a month if not more.

Sean
sean.hoyden@gmail.com

VirginiaSouthern
01-02-2006, 07:12 PM
I'll definitley let you know. I'm gonna be up there the beginning of May (getting married in Winchester on 29 Apr). I'll be up there for a week. I don't think my new bride will have a problem with me breaking away for a day to take some pics. Hell, she may even come along. I'll let you know.

hoydie17
01-02-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm military as well, getting out of the Navy end of April after 10 years of service. I should still be in the area beginning of May. If you can set aside a [sunny] day, I can take you to the Magnolia Cutoff near Paw Paw, WV and Hancock, MD.

To see what I'm talking about try typing in the following under keywords on the database search. I've uploaded quite a few shots from that area under my profile as well.

Paw Paw
Hancock
Magnolia Cutoff
Great Cacapon

Sean

VirginiaSouthern
01-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Groovy, I'll let you know and I'll give those photos a look.