PDA

View Full Version : CAJONS NEW 3rd MAIN, YAY OR NAY

foremantim1
01-10-2006, 06:47 AM
I havent seen very many threads on here about Cajon Pass's new third main that is underway. I've heard quite a few opinions from people about the topic but no one from here. What do you think about

1. The third main in general

2. Metrolink trying to go to Victorville

3. Security enforcement for Metrolink against us railfans

J
01-10-2006, 10:38 AM
The third BNSF track (to be completed in about a year) is to accomodate additional freight traffic. Additional Metrolink traffic is a secondary consideration.

foremantim1
01-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Kinda opposed to Metrolink, it gives the security up there another reason to boot out railfans.

hoydie17
01-10-2006, 11:55 PM
They can only boot railfans off of RR property. Given that the majority of that property around the pass is Forest/Park Service grounds they'll have a difficult time forcing railfans out.

Fact of the matter is, very few shots require you to be standing on RR property.

Sean

foremantim1
01-11-2006, 01:54 AM
Very good point, although i would like to also include ive had my run in with forestry too. And most of them arent pleasurable visits. But thats true about alot of shots that dont require to be on railroad property.

hoydie17
01-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Very good point, although i would like to also include ive had my run in with forestry too. And most of them arent pleasurable visits. But thats true about alot of shots that dont require to be on railroad property.

I can't really say much to this, I've only visited Cajon once, planning another trip maybe in April/May timeframe. But I did encounter the forestry guys once and they weren't that bad, although I did have the adventure pass too.

Another fellow I'd talked to said he'd been coming to CP for years and had never even seen a forestry officer much less stopped by one, so I guess it's probably hit or miss on when they appear.

As long as you're covering the legal bases (i.e. adventure pass) you oughtta be just fine.

Sean

fuente1
01-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Hmm.....not a fan of Cajon so no opinion.

foremantim1
01-12-2006, 01:46 AM
I can't rememeber how much the passes are but paying to railfan, what has it come to. Charging people to explore the pass. Years before the fires, cruising around the pass was no problem at all. No forestry and security would give the courtesy wave. But like hoydie said its a hit or miss.

hoydie17
01-12-2006, 01:53 AM
I can't rememeber how much the passes are but paying to railfan, what has it come to. Charging people to explore the pass. Years before the fires, cruising around the pass was no problem at all. No forestry and security would give the courtesy wave. But like hoydie said its a hit or miss.

Last time I was out there, it was 5$ per day, and I think you can get a 1 year pass for 65 or something like that. Buy them from the gas station/truck stop right off of 138.

If it keeps me from having to miss a train because a stuck up forestry officer or whoever is trying to hold me up, the 5 bucks is an acceptable loss, I'd probably spend it on lottery tickets otherwise.

Sean

bnsf sammy
01-12-2006, 02:11 AM
Charging people to explore the pass.
Only on the forest roads. You can go to Blue Cut and Summit by just pulling to the side of the road without having a pass.

socalrailfan
01-28-2006, 03:51 PM
An adventure pass is not required to be on the forest land in the pass unless you're using a ATV vehicle. We've also been told by agents that they just want us to stay 25' fropm the tracks when taking photos and not to stop on the right of ways. I have been going there for years and UI'm pretty extreme and have only had one encounter and that was years agao.

The 3rd line is going to take probably two more years to complete at the rate they're going and how much work they have to do still.

Here's something's that need to be done besides just the third main being put it:
- New Summit crossovers, approx 5-6.
- New Silverwood crossover and track shift
- Shoefly tracks during removal of two tunnels in Alray.
- Removal of setout track at Baldy Mesa Rd.
- New setout track west of I-15
- Several new bridges and trestles to be built.
- New crash liners at the Hwy.138 crossing
- Track shift and new crossovers west of Cajon Station
- Several track shifts and two new setouts at Keenbrook.

Here's a link to continuing coverage of the work:
http://www.socalrailfan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346

I personally think when this is done that thrid main being there is going to be great with two exceptions. The removal of a vital shortsut for us railfans at one spot and the removal of a railfan hill at Sullivan's Curve. Other than that the photo ops udring construction and afterwards will be awesome!