PDA

View Full Version : First cab ride since joining the service...

VirginiaSouthern
01-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Well after almost 7 years of not setting foot inside a cab, I was given a ride today on the Gub'mint railroad. Shaw's RR is a 5 mile line extending from Shaw AFB down to the interchange with CSX at Cane Savanah.

For today's consist we had two GE 80 tonners, 3 empty tanks and a flatcar used as a spacer between the locos and the tanks. They've just recently been upgrading the track on this line and soon the entire 5 miles will have a speed limit of 25 mph. Current speed is 10 through most of it. Arriving in Cane Savanah, we find 8 loads of jet fuel already waiting at the end of the line, dropped off by CSX yesterday.

It was a short, fairly uneventful trip, but it was nice to take a cab ride and hey, it got me out of work for the morning.

Here's a pic from today's trip.

[photoid=130793]

fuente1
01-17-2006, 09:53 PM
I bet it was nice to get back in the cab. Nice shot too, good to see those old girls still at work.

busyEMT
01-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Are they civilians? I am not in the service, but I don't think red plaid is standard issue! Unless you are a lumberjack, and that's ok.

VirginiaSouthern
01-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Aye. They're civilians. All military RR are operated by civilians with the exception of Mass NG (I think that's the state) operates an Army RR as civilians and as guard technicians (in uniforms) during periods of drill.

dodi4200
01-20-2006, 08:34 AM
nice shot.also i consider that cab ride is one of the most exiting things we do in railfaning.
keep up the great work and waiting to see more nice pix from you.