PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak Cascades Superliner set

jaanfo
01-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Hey, one of the Cascade Talgo sets is being pulled from service for two weeks later on this month, don't know why, but during that time it's being replaced by a superliner trainset. Just for those of you who want a gander.

It will be like this on trains 513 and 516 from the 25th through February 6th

bnsf sammy
01-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Same thing happened awhile back on the Surfliner. So many Surfliner's were hitting cars on the route, they had to take the full set out of service and replace it with Horizon transets. [photoid=118407] Nice shot Jeff.

Even still today, Surfliners are always being replaced with Superliners.

jaanfo
01-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Actually, the Horizon Trainset that runs on the surfliner is run during peak periods, such as Del Mar Race season and the Holiday weekends, but also replaces Surfliner Trainsets on rare occasions.

Currently, One entire surfliner trainset is out of commission after being forced to make an Emergency stop. The cars developed flat spots that were so bad they were cutting cars out of trains down here in San Diego for fear they would cause injury or damage on the return trip to Los Angeles. Currently, one central Coast Surfliner is running with both standard Coaches replaced with Superliners, and two other trainsets have one Coach replaced, one trainset is running with a Superliner replacing business class, and one set is running double ended for lack of a cab car. The cars should soon be entering service again and everything should be back to semi-normal.

For whatever reason one of the Talgo trainsets is being pulled for inspection and testing... It's not on an emergency basis, so nothing is wrong with them. But Amtrak is teaming up with the Federal Government, who knows what's going to happen next :roll:

bnsf sammy
01-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Actually, the Horizon Trainset that runs on the surfliner is run during peak periods, such as Del Mar Race season and the Holiday weekends,
That and they just simply add Surfliner Coaches. [photoid=126477]

Drewster
01-19-2006, 08:45 PM
there is a Surfliner cabcar that has been in the Oakland shops for about 2 months now, the 1st time i saw it, it had pretty bad damage to the front of it, last time i saw it, was around christmas time, and it was repaired, but the windows were still boarded up

jaanfo
01-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Yeah, last fall one of the Surfliner Cab Cars hit a dump truck, that was probably it. More than likely they haven't been able to replace the windows that were broken yet, but it sounds like that may be the only problem. The electrical may still need help though

As far as adding Surfliner Coaches to special event trains, I believe Amtrak tries to make sure that, if possible, the maximum number of trainsets are all-surfliner trainsets possible. So they break one whole six-car set amongst six other trains making them six or seven cars long and replace it with the Horizon set. However, I believe (not certain) there are a total of 40 Surfliner cars, which makes only 8 trainsets of five cars (there may be more, it could be 40 coaches, I'd have to do a little research for that). Then there is one Central Coast Surfliner which uses Horizons and Genesis locos. During special events those consists need to be 6 or 7 cars. Obviously, it's a little sensitive if I'm right about the 40 cars.

jaanfo
01-23-2006, 07:43 PM
One of those trains, 513 or 516 will have the Superliners TOMORROW.