PDA

View Full Version : Number boards

ryhomer
01-24-2006, 02:53 PM
I have a question I've been dying to ask ever since I started looking at railroad pictures...

Why do some carriers use black letters on white numberboards (NS, CSX) & others use white letters on black numberboards (BNSF, UP, CN)?
And along that, I was wondering why CSX has been putting their numberboards on their new GEVOs up front as opposed to everyone else putting them above the windows?

Is this all just personal preference, or is there a true meaning behind it?

David Telesha
01-24-2006, 06:00 PM
You'll probably be disappointed with the answer then.

"Just because". No meaning, no particular reason.

dodi4200
01-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Is this all just personal preference?

i think so as i canot see any meaning that black or white boards refer to.

fuente1
01-24-2006, 07:18 PM
As for the Gevo's number boards being on the nose vs above the windshield, just preference probably on those. I would imagine NS is smarter for putting the numberboards above the windshield as they are less likely to get bumped by the crew and hit by objects and broken above the windshield vs on the nose of the locomotive. Maybe CSX is trying to make Gevos's look like E & F units :lol:

J
01-24-2006, 09:27 PM
As for the Gevo's number boards being on the nose vs above the windshield, just preference probably on those. I would imagine NS is smarter for putting the numberboards above the windshield as they are less likely to get bumped by the crew and hit by objects and broken above the windshield vs on the nose of the locomotive. Maybe CSX is trying to make Gevos's look like E & F units :lol:
On the other hand, putting them on the nose makes it easier to change bulbs.
Prior to the AAR Clean Cab design (circa 1972) number boards opened to the inside of the cab. This made servicing easier and provided a handly way to get a lot of light into the cab. You simply pulled open the doors and let the light shine. However, in serious accidents (fuel truck at crossing) the old arrangement provided a direct path into the cab for items such as flaming gasoline. Now all number boards are accessed from the outside only.

fuente1
01-24-2006, 10:28 PM
On the other hand, putting them on the nose makes it easier to change bulbs.
Prior to the AAR Clean Cab design (circa 1972) number boards opened to the inside of the cab. This made servicing easier and provided a handly way to get a lot of light into the cab. You simply pulled open the doors and let the light shine. However, in serious accidents (fuel truck at crossing) the old arrangement provided a direct path into the cab for items such as flaming gasoline. Now all number boards are accessed from the outside only.

Interesting, never though about that aspect of numberboards. Either place has its drawbacks I guess.

Drewster
01-27-2006, 05:03 AM
you can also ask the same question for Headlight positions, why do some railroads like NS put the headlights on the top of the windows like GE's. Or some railroads like BNSF put the lights on the nose?

bnsf sammy
01-27-2006, 05:16 AM
you can also ask the same question for Headlight positions, why do some railroads like NS put the headlights on the top of the windows like GE's. Or some railroads like BNSF put the lights on the nose?
http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=853&page=1

fuente1
01-27-2006, 05:59 AM
From a working standpoint, I prefer the headlights above the windshield, cause they get hotter than heck and its alot harder to get burned when they are above the windsheild than if they are on the nose of the locomotive.