PDA

View Full Version : Ride?

davideglasgow
01-25-2006, 04:23 AM
Let's suppose one knew a couple of guys that worked on the railroad, one being a conductor. What would be that person's chances of riding along in the cab for fun and pics? I suppose these days it's frowned upon, if not totally disallowed, for safety reasons and liability, but could it happen?

bnsf sammy
01-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Yea, howelse do you think all these people get pics of cabs? :-) They all work for the railroad? Naw, railroad people just invite you up, even if they don't know you. But it is a really rare and special chance when they do let you up so be on your best behavior! :-) See this forum for more info:
http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2916

fuente1
01-25-2006, 04:31 AM
Let's suppose one knew a couple of guys that worked on the railroad, one being a conductor. What would be that person's chances of riding along in the cab for fun and pics? I suppose these days it's frowned upon, if not totally disallowed, for safety reasons and liability, but could it happen?

Your best luck honestly, is going to be on a tourist railroad. The Class I's frown upon cab rides, I know around here getting in a cab on NS is like trying to get into Fort Knox. On the two tourist lines I have worked for, cab rides were given under certain circumstances and they were not against operating rules, like the are on Class I's. Ive ridden in 5 different steam cabs (2 working as fireman) and two different diesel cabs. Got a nice little collection of locomotive inspection reports, track warrants, and assorted paperwork. One piece of advice, when I fired we didnt mind giving cab rides, just dont ask to touch things or blow the whistle, wait for the crew to invite you to do so. Trains are not toys and can be VERY dangerous so be mindful. Good luck though, you might get lucky.

cmherndon
01-25-2006, 04:36 AM
I'm sure some folks have connections, but it's probably best to let the opportunity come to you rather than the other way around. I personally have gotten one cab ride (but was offered a ride and the chance to run it once by a friend), and that out in the middle of nowhere on a light engine . It's usually frowned upon, but a friendly conductor/engineer might invite you up. Never is it prudent to invite yourself up there. Also, if you take any photos, be sure to leave the Train ID, Road Number, and Date fields blank. You never know if a railroad official is browsing here. They could find said photo with all that data filled out and easily find out who the crew was. It would be terrible to see someone get fired over that.

VirginiaSouthern
01-25-2006, 07:44 PM
It depends on the railroad. I've never had a ride on a class 1 (not that I see there being much difference, except for a little faster). All my rides have been on regionals and shortlines. Management, as well as crews, tend to be a bit friendlier to the railfan. That's been my experience at least. Others mileage may vary.

busyEMT
01-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Let's suppose one knew a couple of guys that worked on the railroad, one being a conductor. What would be that person's chances of riding along in the cab for fun and pics?

One would have to ask the "friend"; not the members of a railfan forum!

4kV
01-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Right, it depends on the person. I have a friend who has been an engineer for several years, but with whom I've never ridden. Is the offer there? Yeah, in the best of circumstances, it is, but usually that circumstance does not present itself, and really, I leave it at that so as not to risk getting him in trouble over it. It's fun just to watch him go by, take pics of his train, wave with one finger, etc. I've had many rides otherwise, and since these people still work for a big railroad that took over the railroad for whom they used to work, none of the pictures will ever be shown, and yes, I took quite a few pics. As Caleb mentioned, you don't want to get anyone fired over this. Another word of advice is to realize that is something goes wrong, you are on your own. I frequently rode along with a fallen flag's local crew. We all had the understanding if something happened 60 miles from the home terminal, I had a 60 mile walk home. I accepted that. Also, as mentioned above, never invite yourself. Just keep in mind, it's not easy, and certainly not like it used to be. Best of luck to you, and if you get one, enjoy it, be careful, and respect the crew who are doing their job and letting you tag along as a guest.