PDA

View Full Version : FEC - New Locomotive Order

J
02-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Remember tracking those SD70M's that were demonstrating on NS and FEC a few months ago? FEC liked them enough to buy 4:

/1/2006 Power Shopping
Florida East Coast places first order for new locomotives in two decades
Yesterday, Florida East Coast Railway (FECR) announced it will purchase four SD70M-2 diesel locomotives from Electro-Motive Diesel Inc. — the 351-mile regional’s first order for new locomotives in more than 20 years. FECR expects to take delivery of the power during the third quarter.
The 4,300-horsepower units — designed to meet the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s emission standards and federal safety requirements — will increase the railroad’s locomotive fleet to 80 units.
“The locomotives will provide additional capacity in the movement of our aggregate and intermodal businesses,” said FECR Vice President and Chief Mechanical Officer Gary Griffiths in a prepared statement.

VirginiaSouthern
02-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Sweet. I would like to see them in FEC colors. That would be their first widecabs, correct?

J
02-02-2006, 06:02 PM
To get technical, the cabs are about the same width. You're referring to wide nose. Naturally there have been other such units in the past:

VirginiaSouthern
02-02-2006, 06:04 PM
If you want to get technical, both terms are used quite frequently when reffering to the newer EMDs and GEs.

Besides, you obviously knew what I meant.

dodi4200
02-02-2006, 06:17 PM
thats really very cool news.4 units now and may be after sometime there will be more than that.
but im really very curious to know what will be the type of the paint?
i just know three types of paint that FEC paint there locos with.
1) yellow one like union pacific.
2)red and black.
3)red and blue.
is there is any other paint that FEC have?

VirginiaSouthern
02-02-2006, 06:20 PM
thats really very cool units now and may be after sometime there will be more than that.
but im really very curious to know what will be the type of the paint?
i just know three types of paint that FEC paint there locos with.
1) yellow one like union pacific.
2)red and black.
3)red and blue.
is there is any other paint that FEC have?

It won't be the first one. The yellow ones are simply former UP units that have not been repainted in FEC colors.

BNSF_SD40-2B
02-02-2006, 06:22 PM
The units will recieve numbers 800-803

dodi4200
02-02-2006, 06:26 PM
so i can say that these yellow painted units were owned to UP and sold to FEC?
and the independent paints of FEC are the 2 other ones(red &blue and red&black) ?

J
02-02-2006, 06:31 PM
If you want to get technical, both terms are used quite frequently when reffering to the newer EMDs and GEs. Besides, you obviously knew what I meant.

Naturally, just having a little fun.
Locomotives are called all sorts of names by different people; Wide Cab, Comfort Cab, North American Cab, etc. Then there's Centipede, Bi-Polar, Cowl, Covered Wagon, Goat, Butthead, Slug, Slave, etc. etc. Some names stick, others do not. Big Boy was originally going to be called a Wasatch (Mountains east of Salt Lake City) and who still calls the newer GE passenger locomotives "Genesis?"

VirginiaSouthern
02-02-2006, 06:32 PM
who still calls the newer GE passenger locomotives "Genesis?"

Its been awhile. I'd quite forgotten that designation. :lol: