PDA

View Full Version : CSX business train

NorfolkSouthern_37
02-02-2006, 05:12 PM
was wondering if anyone got any shots of the CSX business train heading into New Orleans. i read in the paper this morning that it collided with a trailer at a grade crossing in Slidell, LA.

fuente1
02-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Were the F40PH's damaged badly?

NorfolkSouthern_37
02-02-2006, 05:24 PM
no i dont think it was damaged at all. it just hit an empty pull-behind trailer that was over the grade crossing.

http://www.virtual-motive-division.com/banner/banner_ns37.gif

fuente1
02-02-2006, 05:24 PM
no i dont think it was damaged at all. it just hit an empty pull-behind trailer that was over the grade crossing.

Thats good to hear!

NSFan14
02-02-2006, 08:02 PM
<Marquee>That is good to hear that it didnt damage the loco.

J
02-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Train collides with trailer stopped on Slidell tracks

After grabbing lunch at a Slidell, Louisiana fast-food restaurant Tuesday, Odell Bryant pulled his pickup truck into traffic and started to say something to his wife as he stopped at a red light. That's when he saw the train.

He said he stopped in mid-sentence as he realized a passenger train was bearing down on the pickup's utility trailer, which was straddling the railroad crossing at Brown's Switch Road near U.S. 11.

"I started blowing the horn, but the cars in front of us wouldn't move," he said. "The train kept getting closer and closer, and I knew we had to make a run for it."

The couple bolted from the pickup and turned around in time to see the eight-car train plow into the trailer, ripping it from the truck.

The trailer knocked over a metal pole supporting the railroad crossing gate and red warning lights, which continued to flash more than 30 minutes after the 11:30 crash.

The southbound CSX Transportation train screeched to a stop with the last few cars blocking the crossing.

There were no injuries. Bryant, who lives in Baton Rouge, was cited for disregarding railroad warning lights.

The train, which had two engines and six passenger cars, was traveling 32 mph at the time of impact, sheriff's deputies said. The speed limit for passenger trains at the crossing is 79 mph.

The train was carrying CSX officials on a business trip to New Orleans, said Rodney Saunders, a senior road foreman for the freight hauling company. CSX has been using Norfolk Southern's tracks through the Slidell community while their bridges to the east are undergoing rebuilding as a result of massive damage from Hurricane Katrina.

The railroad crossing is about four car lengths from a stoplight at U.S. 11 and Brown's Switch Road.

Bryant said the light was green as he started to cross the tracks while driving west on Brown's Switch Road.

"I thought I was going to make it across easy," he said. "But the light turned red, and I got trapped."

He said the railroad warning lights started flashing and the crossing gate came down after he had stopped for the red light. But deputies said state law requires motorists to make sure they have 50 feet of clearance before driving over railroad tracks.

Bryant said he and his wife, Gilda Bryant, have been doing cleanup work in the New Orleans area after Hurricane Katrina. He said they were traveling to a work site on U.S. 11 to remove debris at the time of the crash.

"I'm just so thankful that we're OK," he said. "I'm not worried about losing that old trailer. I can get a new one."

The train blocked traffic on Brown's Switch Road for about 30 minutes as authorities investigated the crash and removed the trailer. The train had minimal damage and was able to continue on to New Orleans. - Paul Rioux, The New Orleans Times-Picayune

Frederick
02-05-2006, 01:29 AM
I don't think it's even possible for a trailer to cause damage to an engine. The train would tear through it like a piece of paper.

cmherndon
02-05-2006, 03:08 AM
I don't think it's even possible for a trailer to cause damage to an engine. The train would tear through it like a piece of paper.

Well, it depends on how big said trailer is and what it's loaded down with. In this case, it was apparently a small unloaded trailer and therefore didn't do any damage.