PDA

View Full Version : Bridge over Bridge crossing

Slopes09
02-07-2006, 04:34 AM
I was bored and looking around on Google Earth. While looking I found this crossing of UP's Geneva Line and another line, I think CN/IC., which is about halfway between the Villa Park and Elmhurst stations. What makes the spot interesting is that its a bridge over a bridge over a river. I couldn't find anything on this spot, but it sure would be cool if I could, so, does anyone have any info on it.. Unfortunately, this spot doesn't look to be all that accesible.
Thanks a lot!

busyEMT
02-07-2006, 06:06 PM
"Unfortunately, this spot doesn't look to be all that accesible." You could do your own rendition of Stand By Me.

BNSF_SD40-2B
02-07-2006, 08:35 PM
I think that's the CN/IC Freeport sub if in fact that's CN trackage. I'm wondering what that little area to the bottom right hand of the photo is, it looks like a building of some sort.

I bet you could get there as long as you had a tiny boat, you could hop in it somewhere up or down stream and paddle your way to that spot. I don't think it matters anyway, there's only an average of 2 trains a day on the Freeport sub and both would probably go by there too late in the day for a perfect photo.

I have Google earth so I'll check it out and see what it looks like around those bridges.

BNSF_SD40-2B
02-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Ok, I checked the area, and the track under the UP is infact the CN/IC Freeport Sub. That area at the bottom right of the photo is a "way-side" like area where cars can pull over, which is accessed by a 6 lane highway just to the east. I don't know if it's actually a rest area but the grey portion is cement. So I bet you could get some photos if you walked in the grass to the tracks(as long as you don't stand on the tracks).