PDA

View Full Version : NS "FEMA" trains

Point Images
02-08-2006, 10:46 PM
For anyone familiar with with New Orleans railroads, the NS Oliver Yard is very close to ground zero and the total devestation in the "9th Ward." That NS got this yard back into operation along with the tracks from Hattiesburg MS south as fast as it did has got to be an amazing story. The FEMA trains - dedicated TOFC runs with house trailers - continue to run into town. Given my random and limited vists to NS operations, I have been surprised to see FEMA trains more often then not! Does anyone have more information on these trains?

J
02-09-2006, 12:32 AM
I've heard that many of these shipments of manufactured homes originate in Elkhart, IN (home of a number of RV manufacturers) There is talk of building up to 2000 new dwellings on the west side of town in the Avondale area.

cmherndon
02-09-2006, 12:44 AM
I've heard that many of these shipments of manufactured homes originate in Elkhart, IN (home of a number of RV manufacturers)

I believe you're correct on that. They've been running a pair of these each way over the CNO&TP (from Elkhart), and I'm assuming they go towards Birmingham after arrival in Chattanooga. The loaded southbound trains are numbered 041 & 043 and northbound empties are 042 & 044. From what I have been told by a reliable source, these trains are supposedly even hotter than hottest intermodals NS is running.

bgregg
02-09-2006, 02:19 AM
I was finally able to take a break from work the other day and get a count of all the trailers.

I counted 150 FEMA trailers on two occasions. Is this about the max that they run?

I heard they're sitting everywhere down south with not that many being used.

Brian

NorfolkSouthern_37
02-09-2006, 10:01 PM
i live on the line into NO in Picayune, MS. i see the FEMA trains quite often at different times of day. trailers in , empties out. some of my friends work setting up the FEMA trailers for those who need it. its not so much that the trialers are not getting used, but usually getting to the location that they are needed gets to be the problem. not to mention the hundreds of thousands of orders for the trailers. many are still without power and water in some areas, many still live in tents. this whole area was hit very hard by the storm, its something that will be with us a long time.

LAHDPOP
02-09-2006, 10:39 PM
i live on the line into NO in Picayune, MS. i see the FEMA trains quite often at different times of day.....

Welcome to the forums. I'm in Indiana now, but I grew up in Slidell, and my folks live in Hide-a-way.

I was down there for Christmas and tried to shoot a FEMA train, but never saw one.

Point Images
02-09-2006, 11:22 PM
NS certainly gets the trailers out of the yard fast - there was no sign of trailers from yesterday's FEMA train -http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=133229

- when I went by the yard about 2 pm. NS 3200 was on an auto train today.

There are still big satellite lots of unused trailers around but the number of trailers in Slidell and portions of New Orleans have increased noticably in the last few weeks. I have a friend waiting for a trailer in Waveland and another who had 3 delivered to his lot and now FEMA will not remove two of them blocking rebuilding efforts. The way the trailers reflect in sunlight, the trains are a unique sight coming across the Pontchartrain Bridge.

Flowing
02-10-2006, 01:13 AM
They do indeed run down the AGS through Birmingham. I caught one back in December scurrying through town.

[photoid=127902 ]

They also more often than not seem to have good power, in the form of 4-axle GE's or high hood EMD's.

J. E. Landrum
02-10-2006, 03:54 AM
I see them almost daily here in Cincinnati. Here is a pic of one of the trains south of Cincinnati on the former Southern - http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=122792

NorfolkSouthern_37
02-10-2006, 07:52 PM
thanks for the welcome

hey Point Images, where exactly are you from?

Point Images
02-10-2006, 08:32 PM
I used to live 2 blocks from the Point of Rocks station in Maryland which got me interested in train photography - thus the logo of sorts. Right now I live in Mandeville and work in New Orleans, next to the Huey Long Bridge. That will change in 2 weeks and I will nearly be back to where I started all this - Falls Church VA. Not sure who will be left to record New Orleans action - the once local group on Railpictures (Railbaron, Shawn Levy, Chris Rigol) are also other places. At least the trains are coming back.

Bill