PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Calibration

LAHDPOP
02-14-2006, 04:50 PM
OK, so I got the new 19" LCD. It's very bright. In fact, looking at my RP.net photos, some of them now look too bright to me. Several of them look oversharpened. So the question is... Is there a standard utility out there that calibrates LCD displays to a known standard? Factory Default is definitely not the answer. That was way too bright.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Let me re-phrase the question... What calibration utilities and/or sites do you guys trust? Have used before? Recommend?

SP3197
02-14-2006, 05:42 PM
If you use Adobe Photoshop or Photoshop Elements then you should have Adobe Gamma control on your computer. That is what I use.

http://www.pictopia.com/perl/doc?process=gamma_control

busyEMT
02-14-2006, 06:51 PM
I too noticed a big - but enhanced - difference when I got my LCD flat panel. Many of my 'underexposed' or 'too dark' rejections seemed just right on my screen. I haven't used my PS Gamma with this new screen. I go by the histogram in Levels.

ericb
02-14-2006, 08:08 PM
"I haven't used my PS Gamma with this new screen. I go by the histogram in Levels."
I believe Adobe Gamma is used to adjust your screen settings so that when you use the Histogram or other adjustment tools in Photoshop, you'll see an accurate output on your monitor.

busyEMT
02-15-2006, 02:25 AM
I am no expert and only speak from personal observation. Yes, Adobe Gamma will calibrate your monitor, but that doesn't change the fact that a photo is overly dark or the contrast is off.

Pre-, during, and Post-Adobe Gamma, my rejections for "underexposed" or too dark photos were probably the majority of rejections. They practically became rare, when I disregarded how they looked on my CRT or LCD monitor and went by levels, contrast, saturation, etc.

I have access to three different LCD monitors at work. Viewing a "perfect" photo at home, the quality is different to such a wide range at the different fire stations.

Granted, nothing beats a well lit picture, correct exposure is the genesis of a decent photo - these photos should look good on any monitor. But, if the lighting was just a hair off or a different f/stop should have been used, the quality will vary with different monitors. And, if you are producing photos for web publication, this is where it is at.

But again, I am no expert. I am sure there are some pros here, that can cover this with authority.

JBCagle7073
02-15-2006, 02:31 AM
Is there any way you could use a spectrum to calibrate it manually. I know one of my editing programs has a spectrum that is used to correct the photo so that it appears as it was seen by the chip in the camera and adjusts it to the monitor. If nothing else fails you could also take a picture of say a red, blue, green, and white peice of paper together in a well lit natural light space and play with the settings till they all look right. It will take some time, but I can't think of why it won't work.

alan-crotty
03-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi all,

With out a doubt the best way to calibrate your monitor is by using a photospectrometer, Gretag Mcbeth EyeOne or similar. They do cost of course ;) , around 200 for a monitor only device, or 1000 for one that will do for printers and projectors too.

The key to digital consistency is a calibrated work flow using ICC profiles for each device, this will ensure not only density (exposure) consistency but also colour consistency between devices that are ICC compliant.

All that said, Microsoft Internet Explorer is not ICC compliant, so the best you can do for web application is to use sRGB as a colour space and get your density right using a test target such as the one on the site below.

http://www.ashford-quest-photo-soc.co.uk/target-image.htm

Adjust your brightness and contrast until you can see all the steps.

Brightness controls blacks, contrast controls whites.

Hope this helps.

Alan