PDA

View Full Version : TTX Identifiers

davideglasgow
02-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Being the detail oriented type, I've noticed that with long groups of TTX cars (say autoracks), the identifiers are almost always the same. For instance, they might all be "ETTX..." or "TTGX..." Very rarely do they deviate, and when they do, it simply starts another string of matched ones. Is this because they are rarely uncoupled, or is there some other reason? Strange, I know, but it has always puzzled me!

VirginiaSouthern
02-21-2006, 03:05 PM
That's because many of the intermodal cars come in sets, permenantly coupled together sharing the same truck in between cars (within a set).

4kV
02-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Being the detail oriented type, I've noticed that with long groups of TTX cars (say autoracks), the identifiers are almost always the same. For instance, they might all be "ETTX..." or "TTGX..." Very rarely do they deviate, and when they do, it simply starts another string of matched ones. Is this because they are rarely uncoupled, or is there some other reason? Strange, I know, but it has always puzzled me!

In the case of autoracks, ETTX cars are tri-level cars, TTGX are bi-level cars. Since many rack trains run to and from one location, you'll many times see the same type of cars. One auto plant may use tri-levels, one may use bi-levels.
If you get blocks of different racks, they are probably destined to some other plant to be set out and picked up by another train.

That's because many of the intermodal cars come in sets, permenantly coupled together sharing the same truck in between cars (within a set).

Intermodal cars get shuffled and recoupled just like carload rolling stock. There aren't many intermodal trains that would be using the same consist always coupled together. The <i>platforms</i> on some cars are permanently coupled, but that is one car, even if it is a five platform container car or something like that. In fact, for that reason, when somene tells you they saw a 95 car intermodal train, they are wrong, because it would probably be more like 28 cars. They may have counted 95 platforms, but not 95 cars. Each car has a coupler, and those can be mixed up just like anything else.

VirginiaSouthern
02-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Intermodal cars get shuffled and recoupled just like carload rolling stock. There aren't many intermodal trains that would be using the same consist always coupled together. The <i>platforms</i> on some cars are permanently coupled, but that is one car, even if it is a five platform container car or something like that. In fact, for that reason, when somene tells you they saw a 95 car intermodal train, they are wrong, because it would probably be more like 28 cars. They may have counted 95 platforms, but not 95 cars. Each car has a coupler, and those can be mixed up just like anything else.

Aye, that's what I meant, just didn't word it properly. I was referring to each section in one set as a seperate car when its really one car with seperate sections.

4kV
02-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Aye, that's what I meant, just didn't word it properly. I was referring to each section in one set as a seperate car when its really one car with seperate sections.

Yep, I figured you meant that. A friend and I have had many arguements with phoamers over this issue. In fact, he's been known to get pretty worked up over the issue. These certain phoamers insist there are, say, five cars sitting in front of you if you are looking at a 5 pack stack car. But the fact of the matter is, it's one car. It has the same car number on each platform, with an A and B end, and C,D, and E in the middle. If you look it up in the "Official Railway Equipment Register", it will tell you it is a 220 foot long car, or whatever it may be. All that indisputable evidence being said, they'll still insist on arguing their point.

VirginiaSouthern
02-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Aye, I've known plenty of people like that. Oh well, I prefer to just let them live in their fantasy lands. :lol:

4kV
02-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Aye, I've known plenty of people like that. Oh well, I prefer to just let them live in their fantasy lands. :lol:

You might as well. They won't let the facts get in the way of their arguement anyway.