PDA

View Full Version : First time I've done a trip report-NS in B&W at Newport

trainmonster
03-12-2006, 07:02 PM
...so bear with me... You know how it goes... sometimes I just reach the point where I just have to get out, weather or no. I call it Rail Therapy. :lol:

I knew the weather was gonna go duff (as usual) but I said 'what the hell' and went to Newport anyway. It's a favorite spot of mine, being, in good weather, well lit from most angles with several curves winding down the river, very scenic and a quiet area to relax with several accessible areas on curves to shoot from.

I was just in time to catch this light move east with the usual ho-hum dash 9 but check out the brand new ACE and slug-must've just gotten shopped at Juniata:

[photoid=136527]

I'm not an early riser, but I did get there in time to grab another westbound in good lighting at the well:

[photoid=136525]

At least there was a 4-axle stuffed in there. The well is working and the guy that lives across the road does use it to draw his water.

The weather started to go but I always wanted to shoot from here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/richpalm88/ns_2879bwweb.jpg

First time I saw a UP ACE. Turbos were howling all the way down the valley-he was working hard. Next trip I take a saw...

Then the trouble started. A switch hung up in the Port Royal area and the maintainer had to come out to fix it. So the westbound in this shot got held. Meanwhile, I met one of our other RP photogs and we were talking when all of a sudden Amtrak came flying around the curve unannounced on the opposite track. He was really moving!

[photoid=136536]

I just pointed and shot... didn't think it'd be any good, no less get in. Sometimes the grab shots turn out the best.

There were more trains, none keepers, all dash 9's. Those GE's are wearing thin on me...

Enjoy-constructive feedback welcomed!

Rich

NicTrain35
03-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Great shots, Rich! Thanks for sharing your trip report. The first one is a very nice lash-up.

golden_spike
03-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Nice report! I like the black and white shots, it seems like a good alternative for a grey day, they look really classy. good work!

BNSF_SD40-2B
03-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Nice black and white shots! I've tried B/W shots but one has yet to be accepted

cmherndon
03-12-2006, 10:34 PM
They look very nice, Richard. B&W shots always have a very moody feel to them, and if you ask me, NS looks best in B&W. I especially like the shot with the well and the one with the river in the background. It would be really cool if you could catch the guy drawing water at the well with a train that just happens to be passing by. Keep the B&W photos coming!

sometimes I just reach the point where I just have to get out, weather or no. I call it Rail Therapy.

I think we've all had times like that.

trainmonster
03-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the compliments! I'm the moodiest person I know-history of depression-so I guess that reflects in the photos. NS looks better in B&W IMO also... started with this shot:

[photoid=110507]

...that looked awful in color and I converted it. Took off from there. Since then I've found many different B&W filters for Photoshop that I employ-the secret is to not just desaturate. That screws up the hues.

The weather is cloudy most of the time in this area, so there's almost no choice. The cloudless days are very, very rare, contrary to what you see on the site.

Rich

dodi4200
03-20-2006, 05:52 PM
great shots rich.specially the first one.thanks for sharing this beauty pix and keep up the great work.

ccaranna
03-20-2006, 07:39 PM
I especially like the shot with the well and the one with the river in the background.

Me, too! That's my favorite.