PDA

View Full Version : Hell on Wheels, Hazardous Rail Cars in Washington, D.C.

dsktc
03-12-2006, 10:32 PM
From Sally Quinn's column in today's
Washington Post:

"What if I told you that:

"On average, six rail cars a week carrying 90 tons of chlorine, one of the most lethal gases in the world, pass within 20 blocks of the U.S. Capitol?

"If terrorists attacked the rail cars, escaping gas could kill or injure tens of thousands -- about 100 people a second?

"Depending on the wind, a chlorine spill would be lethal to people within two to five miles and would endanger people within 14 miles?

"The chlorine passing through Washington is not for use here?

"The rail cars basically are unprotected and are emblazoned with placards announcing that they carry hazardous cargo -- including the specific code for chlorine?

"It doesn't have to be this way. CSX Transportation (CSXT) could reroute these cars. So why doesn't it?"

Registration is required to read the complete text:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/10/AR2006031001720.html

Dave

BNSF_SD40-2B
03-13-2006, 02:09 AM
Who cares if chlorine is running through DC. Chlorine is probably running through other big cities too. It will cost CSX too much money to reroute the stuff so if I was CSX I would just force the truckers to transport it on the highways............that would be a kick........eh :lol: :lol:

IC 6071
03-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Just give terrorists more ideas D.C.!

cmherndon
03-13-2006, 02:57 AM
What The Washington Post won't tell you is how many trucks carrying hazmat are going through there daily. Six cars a week is nothing.

If terrorists attacked the rail cars, escaping gas could kill or injure tens of thousands -- about 100 people a second?

Or if CSX turns the car over and it leaks. That seems to be the more probable scenario.

VirginiaSouthern
03-13-2006, 03:08 AM
Just another case of the media trying to excite people who don't know any better. Happens all the time.

jaanfo
03-14-2006, 05:43 AM
And once again the media is fueling the fears and sparking ideas in terrorists' minds.

My favorite was the day the local media showed how easy it was to bypass the club, then the next day the topic was hotwiring cars.

Frederick
03-15-2006, 01:45 AM
If they were/are continuously contemplating attack plans, they would've come up with this by now.

firegator
03-23-2006, 02:20 AM
Hello again-- I hope this is relative to the subject-- Some years back, tank cars which carried highly poisonous materials had a red stripe painted horizontally around the tank about mid-way up-- I haven't seen many of these recently, but last week saw tank cars carrying methyl ethyl bad stuff which had a verticle stripe approx. 6 feet wide painted vertically around the tank, centered on the dome-- Has something changed??
Best regards, da Gator