PDA

View Full Version : Some people will NEVER learn!!

bigiron
03-26-2006, 03:44 AM
Well, I spent most of the day in the White River Junction to Bellows Falls area of VT and NH. Followed trains from dawn till 11 ish and then took a break for another hobby and then finished the day chasing, lol. I will submit pictures once I get them uploaded and looked at but wanted to unload this off my chest first.

What I saw at the end of my day was just stupidity despite constant reminders of the danger of trying to beat a train. I was chasing the Amtrak train from Bellows Falls back to White River Junction and hoping to catch it go over the majestic trestle when the tracks cross over the river from NH back to Vermont on the way. It was getting dark so I just went right to WRJ to set up a night shot and get more practice at those.

I was there about 10 minutes before the train and set up my camera on a tripod and worked on the angles and heard the train coming into town, when he came into the station I took one long time exposure. Problem is with the noise reduction and the length of the shot I didn't have a chance to get the one that ended up presenting itself 8) as the first shot was still developing .

When the train was ready to depart the gates had gone back up so the train started creeping closer to them to trip them...he was about 100'-150' from the crossing going slow and the gates started going down. Like usual the lights started blinking before that and a pickup approached the crossing. I figured he would wait since he was looking right at the lights of the gate and the engine :shock: ! Oh no, this guy was in a rush and zig zagged he way from one side to the other some how not having the gates hit his truck (compact one saved him) and the train was only 50-75 away at the time and luckily not going the usual speed. The engineer let out a extra long double horn blast to show his displeasure and I was saying what a great shot that would've been having the truck lights swirve in front of the train and under the gates, ugh. The only reason he drove away is the speed was far slower than normal for passenger or freight with basically the gates down and seeing the truck passed with less than 150' cushion which would normally be gone before anyone could cross.

Remember that thread I started, "what is the one picture you never took that you'll never forget?" Well this falls into the top spot for me now and will remind me just how dumb people are. I couldn't help but to express my anger at the move he made if I found the right person seeing the crew would've added some too, IMO. This driver showed no respect for the crew or the people on board the train and I wanted to put my 2 cents in.

There was only one pickup in the parking lot helping two woman load their luggage and I confirmed it was him and then went on to say how dumb it was to make that move seeing how many less fortunate people try the same thing. He looked at me dumbfounded and I left it at that since the two people he was with were ready to finish him off :-D . I think he didn't want to look late getting there and I cleared the air on that and he had lots of "splainning" to do.

Common sense is quickly becoming a thing of the past and I'm sure many railfans out there have seen the above if not worse. I wish I got the picture as the swirving lights would've looked neat in front of the train!

Hope it wasn't too long winded, Rich

Slopes09
03-26-2006, 05:07 AM
It is my theory that the "common sense" gene is rapidly disapearing in the human race. Those with the "common sense" gene are rapidly finding it harder to acquire a mate, due to the fact that humans with the gene are few and far between. The only reason this hasn't already happened is due to things like trains, automobiles, and things that you read about in the Darwin Award. However, I have also theorized that society will implode in about 100 to 150 years, by some sort of event(think Y2K episode of the Simpsons). The two theories are linked in that once the gene dissipates to a low enough level, then theory two will occur.

-excerpt from My Cynical View of the World :grin:

trainmonster
03-26-2006, 06:17 AM
It is my theory that the "common sense" gene is rapidly disapearing in the human race. Those with the "common sense" gene are rapidly finding it harder to acquire a mate, due to the fact that humans with the gene are few and far between. The only reason this hasn't already happened is due to things like trains, automobiles, and things that you read about in the Darwin Award. However, I have also theorized that society will implode in about 100 to 150 years, by some sort of event(think Y2K episode of the Simpsons). The two theories are linked in that once the gene dissipates to a low enough level, then theory two will occur.

-excerpt from My Cynical View of the World :grin:

I can't resist... here is something I grabbed a couple years ago.

Rich

OBITUARY NOTICE!!

Today we mourn the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense lived a long life but died from heart failure at the brink of the millennium. No one really knows how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools; hospitals, homes, factories and offices, helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For decades, petty rules, silly laws and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense.

He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, the early bird gets the worm, and life isn't always fair. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second. A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing, whole language and "new math."

But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus, and multi-cultural political correctness syndrome, and integration infection. In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing federal regulation. He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self seeking lawyers and enlightened auditors. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero tolerance policies, reports of six year old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student. It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but cannot inform the parent when the female student is pregnant or wants an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as churches became businesses and indoctrination centers for the government, Non white Criminals received better treatment than White victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from Boy Scouts to professional sports. As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments, regarding questionable regulations for asbestos, low flow toilets, "smart" guns, the nurturing of Prohibition Laws and mandatory air bags. Finally, when told that the homeowners association restricted exterior furniture only to that which enhanced property values, he breathed his last breath.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers: Rights, Tolerance and Whiner. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Matt Rivers
03-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Here's one of the stupider things I've seen.....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=247159

fuente1
03-28-2006, 01:51 AM
Here's one of the stupider things I've seen.....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=247159

Darwinism in action, the dumb die first.

hoydie17
03-28-2006, 03:29 AM
Darwinism in action, the dumb die first.

Either that, or the dumb get someone else killed first.

Sean

bigiron
03-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Trainmonster, interesting read and thanks for sharing.

Matt, the one thing I can say is different about the two scenarios is we all know how trains can sneak up on you esp. passenger trains. In the case where I witnessed, this is a middle aged adult taking on a train not even 200' from him with all the lights and horns going off!! :shock:

and Sean, have to agree with your statement! How many times does the person who does a brainless act walk away or escape major injury with the other recipients in much worse shape if alive!

Who knows, with the global warming and the glaciers melting, maybe in 20 years all those river line tracks will be under water due to rising waters? :confused:

There is no doubt that the trend is not in a positive direction on many fronts.

Good luck all, Rich

Frederick
03-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Non white Criminals received better treatment than White victims

The person who wrote that must be a racist.

trainmonster
03-29-2006, 12:05 AM
The person who wrote that must be a racist.

Not a racist, just a realist. (I didn't write it, BTW.

Rich