PDA

View Full Version : A day on the range

Christopher Muller
03-27-2006, 07:16 AM
First of all, I just wanna share my new favorite photo I have ever taken...

[photoid=138511]
The train on the left is a raw taconite train led by a recently repainted DMIR SD40-3 which are former tunnel motors. The train on the right is a taconite train enroute to Proctor, Minnesota

[photoid=138455]
This is an empty limestone train coming from Minntac heading to Proctor Yard.

[photoid=138459]
A loaded raw taconite train, running from the pit to the processing plant.

[photoid=138463]
A loaded taconite train, holding the main for several other trains to clear ahead of him.

[photoid=138469]
A very bright repainted SD40-3 leads a loaded raw taconite train.

[photoid=138479]
A Minorca taconite train gets ready to head onto the Iron Range Division.

[photoid=138481]
Can't see it, but I am standing in a foot of icy cold water from melting snow. Also note, the handrails are painted white, instead of the standard yellow.

[photoid=138489]
I love this spot, could photograph trains all day from here.

[photoid=138493]
Another T-Bird from Thunderbird Mine.

[photoid=138499]
[photoid=138509]
Double upload, one was rejected and accepted on appeal. Four unit consist northbound on the former DMIR. CN freight passing on the other main.

[photoid=138511]
Just to see it again, my favorite shot of all time!

Bryan Jones
03-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Those are some very nice photos, looks like quite a busy and productive day on the DM&IR. I'd really like to get up that way and check out the ore haulers. Be a fine way to spend a few days while I'm laidoff from work right now. I might just have to get the maps out and do some quick research for an impromtu road trip!

Bryan Jones

dodi4200
03-27-2006, 03:48 PM
great and nice pix chris.i like also the first pic of the 2trains.
keep up the great work and show us more of these nice pix.

busyEMT
03-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Awesome photos. This trip really paid off. I was at a loss for a quick quip about the speeding ticket. Either it was a Trooper or you don't have your car plastered in police stuff.

Ween
03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah, what happened to 'professional courtesy?' I saw my Dad get out of several tickets that way.Anyway, awesome! Finally, you had a day off and sun! Great job!

Don't forget to update your favorite shot here:
http://www.railpictures.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=4255

Christopher Muller
03-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Yeah, what happened to 'professional courtesy?' I saw my Dad get out of several tickets that way.Anyway, awesome! Finally, you had a day off and sun! Great job!
http://www.railpictures.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=4255[/url]

Aaron nailed it, it was a trooper. I don't have any visible police stuff when I'm railfanning, normally don't wear any of my department logo either. Its not that I got a ticket that bugs me, it is how CHEAP the ticket was. 69 in a 55?!?! Around here, that isn't even speeding! Oh well... shoulda known better.