PDA

View Full Version : What RR would you work for if possible?

bigiron
03-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Ok, in this new resurging era of freight railroading, if you had the choice what company attracts your interest the most? My curiosity makes me wonder what RR's are efficient and employee friendly ( partial if not in full :grin: )

You can take it one step more by picking a particular area of that RR.

Right now I don't have an answer to share but am working on it ;-) . Just like to see what is appealing to the viewing audience.I would pick a possible mountain region with good scenic views to break the trips up but am not that familiar with the Southeast region to rule it out.

Well interested in seeing what is posted later on this weekend. Took the day off to go out to NY area tomorrow and take advantage of the great weather!

TIA for any responses and happy chasing/filming, Rich

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
03-30-2006, 10:39 PM
No particular RR in mind because I don't know how many are run but I'd say I'd wanna work for a shortline or be crew of a branch line. Its more personal with railfans at slower speeds and sometimes more exciting. I love the small town feeling as well so that plays a part in my answer.

cmherndon
03-30-2006, 11:01 PM
I've personally applied at NS, CSX, UP, BNSF, and the CN. NS is my first choice though since there are three terminals relatively close to home (Danville, Louisville, and Cincinnati). If I already had the training, I'd consider working for a regional or shortline (PAL, LIRC, etc).

I've been applying for a conductor's position, but I think that working as a dispatcher or signal maintainer would pretty cool too...especially the latter since there's so much technical stuff involved.

Slopes09
03-30-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm personally planning on going into Railway Engineering, which is a branch of Civil Engineering. I would definately want to work somewhere in this region, preferably so that, assuming I get married, have kids, etc., I could just call up my parents/wife's parents to get them to baby-sit. Thus I would probably want to work for BNSF, but any railroad in the area would work, too, like the EJ&E.

fuente1
03-31-2006, 12:04 AM
Tweetsie Railroad or Great Smoky Mountains Railroad.....oh wait....been there done that! :-) RR jobs can be fun but its not for everyone. I know working in tourist rail is enjoyable. I have tried to get on with NS and CSX....took the CSX test and passed it but they never even called me in for an interview (I think having a Degree hurt me). CSX never returns calls either, so I say forget them both. You either have to be very lucky or know/have someone in your family that worked for the RR to get on. To each their own. Ive moved onto other industries.

Joe the Photog
03-31-2006, 05:49 AM
I used to think I wanted to work for a railroad. It didn't hit me what the crews go through until I really started shooting trains back in '99. It would be 95, 100 egrees, hot as heck and I'd have to stand outside in that heat. Finally, I'd just get back in the car and turn the A/C back on. Of course, the guys on the ground throwing the switches and making the couples didn't have A/C. Neither did most of the guys in the motors either since I tend to gravitate toward shortlines or branchlines. I'm too hot natured for that job.

But if I could, I'd work for the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad in a heart beat. Maybe they need a photog!!! LOL

Joe

J
03-31-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm personally planning on going into Railway Engineering, which is a branch of Civil Engineering.

Check out University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana. They are one of the few with a railroad engineering curriculum and are one of the Association of American Railroads "affililated labs."
http://cee.uiuc.edu/railroad/default.asp

The other is the Texas Transportation Institute at Texas A&M
http://tti.tamu.edu/inside/centers/rail/newsletters/v6n2.stm

Finally, much research ocurrs at the Transportation Technology Center at Pueblo

The following is not a direct link but has an intersting photo of a modified SD40T-2 being used as a crash test vehicle.
http://www.hazmattraining.com/ertc_news-lawmakers.htm

hoydie17
03-31-2006, 08:30 PM
I've actually accepted a position in Conductor Training School with CSXT, will be running trains on the Montreal Secondary and the Chicago Line between Selkirk and Buffalo.

Sean

BNSF_SD40-2B
03-31-2006, 08:39 PM
I've always though working for the BNSF would be nice, after all the good thingd I've heard about 'em but also IC&E is another railroad I'd like to work for. IC&E is a regoinal railroad that sounds better than a Class 1 by what an ex-engineer told me. Also I like the idea of not having to go through any schooling whatsoever, I just apply for the job, hop on the train for some experience for awhile then start the "real" work later on(also revealed to me by an ex-ICE engineer).

fuente1
03-31-2006, 09:48 PM
But if I could, I'd work for the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad in a heart beat. Maybe they need a photog!!! LOL

Joe

It was a tough job, but somebody had to do it! :lol: Best college job ever, every weekend spent riding the train thru the mountains, in vintage Pullmans, behind a 2-8-0. Tweetsie was great too, it was hot as heck though! Steam cabs get smokin hot.

trainmonster
04-01-2006, 04:05 AM
None! Wouldn't be able to deal with the hours and fatigue. Maybe as a company photog, though. :lol:

Rich