PDA

View Full Version : Roster shots

willie6622
11-07-2003, 07:16 PM
I have noticed lately people have been getting flamed for posting "roster shots." While I don't take many roster type shots myself, I do feel that roster shots are important, and do have their place here. I enjoy looking at a well lit roster shot and do appreciate those that take them.

Just my 2cents!

Willie

petertenthije
11-07-2003, 08:09 PM
Could someone briefly explain to this know-nothing what these roster shots are? :oops:

iCe
11-07-2003, 08:59 PM
I have noticed lately people have been getting flamed for posting "roster shots." While I don't take many roster type shots myself, I do feel that roster shots are important, and do have their place here. I enjoy looking at a well lit roster shot and do appreciate those that take them.

Just my 2cents!

Willie

Thank you. I think all types of shots should be accepted. If you don't like it, don't click on it. For example, I don't like those photos where you kind of make out the train, just the streaks of light or colour of the train swooshing by. I realize it's supposed to show movement, but I just don't see a train in it. But that's opinion matter. I just don't click on them. Personally, I'd rather look at a well lit, no grain roster shot than a grainy or blurry action shot.

Peter, roster shot are photos of a train stopped (ie in a Yard or Station).

petertenthije
11-07-2003, 09:23 PM
thanks... like all of my pics then (except 2 or 3) :D :lol:

E.M. Bell
11-07-2003, 10:46 PM
Roster shots are fine, and serve a purpose....dont they starnes :)

Just remember guys and gals, when uploading a roster shot to RP, it must have VERY good light, have VERY good comp (IE..a classic 3/4 on the sunlit side, with the nose in the light as well..little or no forground clutter.and PLEASE no towers, poles, trees, bushes, billboards, spaceships or other assorted crap growing out the top of the engine :) Also, no front and rear coupled shots....

iCe
11-07-2003, 10:55 PM
..little or no forground clutter.and PLEASE no towers, poles, trees, bushes, billboards, spaceships or other assorted crap growing out the top of the engine :) ....

Does that mean a tree in the background is bad? :shock:

John Gerstner
11-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Where I live in Florida, most of the FEC mainline is blocked by trees and bushes. This is one of the reasons I go to the freight yards and mostly shoot roster shots. I also would like to see roster shots over blurry streaks of light and photos taken so far away you cannot make out the numbers on the engine.

Chris Starnes
11-08-2003, 04:27 AM
I have no problem with a 'good' roster shot. Good light, no foreground clutter, nice angle, etc.

The only things we don't really want, as a website, are those roster shots of 'standard' power in less than optimal lighting.

Thanks,
CTS

Guilford350
11-08-2003, 12:43 PM
I'd say about half of my photos are roster shots and they always get a fair amount of views too.

Personally, I think that all types of photos should be accepted. If Railpictures.net was only a place for scenic shots or action shots or roster shots, then I think it would be rather boring. I'm glad that they accept just about all types of photos here.

iCe
11-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Personally, I think that all types of photos should be accepted. If Railpictures.net was only a place for scenic shots or action shots or roster shots, then I think it would be rather boring. I'm glad that they accept just about all types of photos here.

Nicely said! :) 8) :)

Lord Vader
11-08-2003, 11:51 PM
This debate has been going on since the first train photos were taken. Do roster shots belong here? Of course! However, my personal opinion is that rosters are the LEAST imaginitive form of railroad photography. I don't feel that they are even necessary, since you get your locomotive photo in a well composed action shot. Sure there will be times when the jack is just sitting there in good light, or it won't be moving and you can't hang around, so you blast off a chrome. But as a pursuit, it really lacks any imagination or thought. I would much rather see a nice action photo of a particular loco than a bland roster of it sitting in the fuel racks at East Lizzardfart.

Good grief, the WGRF's are going to put a bounty on my head for this one.... :twisted:

urslow
11-09-2003, 01:07 AM
I agree that there should not be a bunch of stuff protruding from the top of a loco, but often times it's just a fact of life. Also you must consider the fact that trains are native to a totally unique environment. By that I mean, yard shots will have towers and other items "cluttering" the shot. These photos I think are just as good as others because often times these items add to the shot. This to has been a big deal on photosig, where people constantly rank some of my photos lower for leaving them as I took them.
I maintain that these are not staged or studio shots. You take what you can get at times. Often times shots with the towers or trees removed are sterile and not much fun to look at.

Hopefully I got my point across without too much rambling, but there are so many points to be made.

Chris Starnes
11-09-2003, 03:45 AM
Well said, K8DTI. My thoughts exactly.

CTS

yardmaster
11-09-2003, 09:32 PM
I ONLY take roster shots because they are so easy to take, no challenge, no technical difficulty, just point and shoot! Good lighting, crappy lighting, it don't matter to me :D ! I especially like taking them "cluttered" looking shots. Hey, Im blind in one eye and can't see out the other, so GET OFF MY BACK!! :lol: .

willie6622
11-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Everyone got there point over very well on this topic, & it seems as I had said to start that a very well lit roster shot is valuable. My "nitch" is scenic shots, but I'm going to lens a few more roster types when the light is just right. I think a good example of good light in any shot is when you can see good detail in the trucks. I hate seeing a photo of an engine that appears to be floating on a giant black space.

willie6622
11-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Everyone got their point over very well on this topic, & it seems as I had said to start that a very well lit roster shot is valuable. My "nitch" is scenic shots, but I'm going to lens a few more roster types when the light is just right. I think a good example of good light in any shot is when you can see good detail in the trucks. I hate seeing a photo of an engine that appears to be floating on a giant black space.

Willie Brown

egll
11-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Any chance one of you guys could show us primitive Europeans what a roster shot is? It's certainly not a phrase I've come across before and I've been taking rail pictures for nearly 20 years :)

Matt

railfanzone
11-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Roster shot, in the strictest terms, would be a typical 3/4 wedge shot of just the uncoupled locomotive in "perfect" light, no clouds, blue sky, no foreground or background clutter, utility poles, etc.

If you ask me, it's artistically boring, but necessary as it represents a "pure" view of the locomotive. Yeah, I've shot a few myself, but I try to stay away from them... :) But some folks are into only shooting them. Hey, to each their own...

-Tom

iCe
11-11-2003, 07:40 PM
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=32076

that's a roster shot :D

oltmannd
11-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Roster shots, while not very artistic, are the best for documenting the equipment. It's the one view that allows one to see the most detail in a single shot (which is why good lighting is important for roster shots). The details one can see in a roster shot often give clues to the exact model, equipment, paint scheme details, overall condition, etc. which are important to amatuer historians and modelers. Not every shot has to have impressive artistic credentials or a high degree of creativity to be interesting and useful.

If a picture is supposed to tell a story, then the roster shot is as valuable as any other.

-Don

oltmannd
11-13-2003, 01:10 AM
A roster shot of a manganese insert frog???!!!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=39037

iCe
11-13-2003, 02:13 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

busyEMT
11-13-2003, 02:17 AM
I found one "uncoupled!"

E.M. Bell
11-13-2003, 02:35 AM

Not exactly a roster shot, but hey, a good rail related photo doen't have to contain locomotives and cars, the whole enviroment lends itself to photography, be it signals, rail, or even a artistic shot of a pile of old ties!!

oltmannd
11-13-2003, 04:54 PM
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=39115

...without noting the coupler type!

oltmannd
11-19-2003, 03:39 PM
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=39723

An example of a front-coupled roster shot