PDA

View Full Version : Odd Occurence

Slopes09
03-31-2006, 04:25 PM
I saw something extremely odd on the BNSF Chillicothe Sub near Joliet yesterday. Two BNSF engines were speeding westbound with a single autorack car. Anybody have any idea what this could be?

bnsf sammy
03-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Maybe that car was set out for a hotbox or whatever, and those engines were picking it up. Just my guess though. ;-)

BNSF_SD40-2B
03-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Well I know on the BNSF Aurora Sub they have 2 westbound auto trains per day and sometimes the first train will drop off most of it's auto racks and stack cars in Savanna yard for the 2nd train to Pick up. The first train will end up leaving leaving the yard with only a few cars.........maybe the train you're talking about made a similar move?

4kV
04-03-2006, 02:07 PM
It well could have been a missed connection, too, or if that car was set out for some reason, BNSF may still owe it to the manufacturer to get it to where it needs to be. I've seen NS do that around here, running one car to Wentzville. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

hoydie17
04-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Could have also been a power/crew restaging move as well.

If you move one engine "lite" you have to travel at restricted speed. Possibly due to poor conductivity through the rails to trip automatic block protection and grade crossing systems.

Often they'll send 2 engines, and tack on a random car or two to solve that problem.

See that on the East Coast all the time, so I'd figure it's safe to assume the West Coast guys do it too.

Sean

4kV
04-03-2006, 03:35 PM
If you move one engine "lite" you have to travel at restricted speed. Possibly due to poor conductivity through the rails to trip automatic block protection and grade crossing systems. Sean

What railroad does the restricted speed for engine moves out there? Around here on the UP, light engines can do track speed. It's neat to see a light engine move shooting by at 60 m.p.h. on the Chester Sub.

J
04-03-2006, 06:36 PM
What railroad does the restricted speed for engine moves out there? Around here on the UP, light engines can do track speed. It's neat to see a light engine move shooting by at 60 m.p.h. on the Chester Sub.
Correct. "Restricted speed" has a specific rulebook meaning and I'm not aware of it applying to lite engine moves. Locomotives do a pretty good job of shunting track circuits - certainly a lot better than a single railcar. The original observation might come from the fact that a group locomotives have a higher tons per operative brake than a single locomotive a similar number of railcars meaning they may not stop as quickly. Remember Chase Maryland? Since we're speculating, another possibility is that in the course of repositioning the locomotives the crew stopped to pick up a former bad-order set off.

hoydie17
04-03-2006, 07:20 PM
I'll have to go dig up my rulebooks now. But CSX rules say you can only run a single unit at Restricted Speed (30mph). I used to think it was due to the lack of dynamic braking, but was later told of the track circuit implications.

If you see two engines together, then they'll travel at track speed, or one engine and a rail car. A single engine will be at restricted speed.

We watched a Q297 one night go by with an SD40-2 and a 2 bay covered hopper at 50mph. Funny part was, the hopper had been sitting on a siding in Baltimore for years and was back on the same siding 3 days later. So you could make the connection that the hopper had only been used just for this purpose.

Sean