PDA

View Full Version : NS Announces Merger

cmherndon
04-01-2006, 03:18 AM
Yeah, I couldn't believe it myself, but here it is straight from the AP regional wire.

NORFOLK, VA (AP) - Norfolk Southern CEO Wick Moorman announced today plans to merge with the Waypal Shipping Company of War Eagle, WV - a leader in cross-country, overnight ground shipping. Moorman stated in a press conference today that NS will change its name to Norfolk and Waypal. "It's all part of the Thoroughbred Operating Plan. Our goal is to remain the best railroad in the eastern United States. Merging with a leader in overnight will allow us to offer a unique service to our customers, and bring in signifigantly more revenues. Need it shipped overnight by rail? There's Norfolk and Waypal."

How will this affect one of Norfolk Southern's biggest customers? UPS president and CEO Oz Nelson could not be reached for comment, but a UPS spokesperson did say that UPS would not be dropping their contract with NS as it would require a massive capital investment to buy more trucks and hire qualified drivers.

The other three of the "big four" railroads in the United States offered varying opinions on the new service. Union Pacific chairman Dick Davidson said, "Service? What's that?" while Matthew Rose of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway issued an official statement saying that BNSF would be willing to partner with N&W for this brand new service, offering a schedule even faster than the currently existing "Z" trains.

Finally, CSX CEO Michael Ward stated, "Gee whiz. N&W is killing us here in the east. We had the 'ONE' plan, but that still hasn't seemed to work yet since we implemented it in 2003. Basically all we do around here is sit around with a bad case of cranial-rectal inversion while thinking of new ways to screw the public, whether it be with a hazmat spill or lawsuit for stealing our intellectual property." Ward later announced plans to merge with Amtrak.

Norfolk and Waypal is one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its N&W Railway subsidiary operates approximately 21,200 route miles in 22 states, the District of Columbia and Ontario, Canada, serving every major container port in the eastern United States and providing superior connections to western rail carriers. N&W operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is North America's largest rail carrier of automotive parts and finished vehicles

trainmonster
04-01-2006, 04:03 AM
Well... since my sense of humor runs along the "I-don't-get-it" line, this is a joke, right? :shock:

Norfolk & Waypal... yuck!

Rich

Warren
04-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Ya Norfolk'in Way is the way I heard it..... I need more cow bell!

Ween
04-01-2006, 05:40 AM
Caleb, you're a day early...

fuente1
04-01-2006, 06:25 AM
Finally, CSX CEO Michael Ward stated, "Gee whiz. N&W is killing us here in the east. We had the 'ONE' plan, but that still hasn't seemed to work yet since we implemented it in 2003. Basically all we do around here is sit around with a bad case of cranial-rectal inversion while thinking of new ways to screw the public, whether it be with a hazmat spill or lawsuit for stealing our intellectual property."

Caleb, dont tease me with 2006 quotes about the N&W (when black engines were special)!

cmherndon
04-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Caleb, you're a day early...

Well, I didn't want to make it too obvious.

Live from Winston-Salem, NC...

bigiron
04-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Interesting..

Let's just imagine it was true, what kind of investment NS would have to make in a fleet of planes and jets seeing UPS's fleet is one of the largest in the world and first to comply with the noise standards !!! :shock: But then again, you're AP article does state "overnight ground" so it wouldn't matter here. But the "overnight service" would in the Chicago area for one where the RR expansion article just posted on the forum recently stated some trains sitting a day or two longer due to congestion. For fun I did a google search on the "NS and waypal" and much to my surprise it's been a comical joke for a bit :grin: .

I actually work for UPS and yesterday when I was at Selkirk yard (took the day off to chase trains), an intermodal train (mainly UPS) came through the yard as fast as I've seen any train and had 4 Westbounds and an inbound sitting at the West (north) end waiting with priority given to them! The sun wasn't perfect so some shots are not "nose lit" (used the side views) but hope to have the congestion shots accepted once I catch up a bit. There is no doubt the stack trains and intermodals are given priority around yard operations of keeping them on the move.

Now let's see what other gimmicks I can come up with at home for today ;) .

RC.

ps, nice try on the UPS president/ceo name, whomever made that up. ;-), gotta have a sense of humor in today's world to keep your sanity.

Save The Wave
04-02-2006, 04:18 PM
You must listen to the Bob & Tom show.