PDA

View Full Version : Lack of color manipulation?

ddavies
04-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Yesterday, NS ran a high/wide load through Northern Virginia. Someone was thoughtful enough to put a VERY clean 70M-2 for power ... but then some other clown put the most rusty covered hopper in the yard. :-(

Of the two pics, I have removed the saturation from only the covered hopper, which makes it look dirty, rather than rusty, and a heck of a lot better than it was. How does RP feel about this as far as image manipulation? Removing all color from an image is OK to make a B/W image. I just removed a little bit. ;-)

Ween
04-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Personally, I like the rust better. And I don't like the idea of digital manipulation of this kind, but that's jsut me...

David Telesha
04-07-2006, 02:12 AM
Personally, I like the rust better. And I don't like the idea of digital manipulation of this kind, but that's jsut me...

I'm with Ween...

Converting the whole image to B&W is one thing, but changing the color of something in a color photo I think is beyond the line I draw for manipulation.

Increasing and decreasing the saturation for the ENTIRE photo isn't really manipulation as long as you keep it at the natural level.

trainmonster
04-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Well, since the NS looks better in B&W anyway, I'd make the whole shot B&W.

I've been known to clone out a rogue power line but it would bother me to doctor a photo like this, unless I was doing it for fun in my own collection.

Ween is right-rust looks better anyway.

Rich

Joe the Photog
04-09-2006, 01:43 PM
I honestly can't say if I would know the maniped version was in fact manipped if you hadn't told me. But now that I do know, it looks very weird like, why is that car black and white when the rest of the shot is in color? It's a great shot and I actually think the rust adds something to the shot, even if it's just a little color.

Now the wise thing might be to just make the whole shot b&w. But I really like the color/rusty version better.

Joe

Joe the Photog
04-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Just to note, that I've wanted to do a manipped version of a shot where the train is in color but the rest of the shot is b&w, so I'm not against manipped photos at all. (That would naturally be a "personal collection" shot for me.)

Joe

Joe the Photog
04-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Sorry to steal this thread as it were, but your shot might suffer from the dreaded "high sun" disease. It's hard to tell with a smal version of it. Brightening/contrast might work, but so far b&w. Of course, for all I know, one of these shots are already in the database.

Joe

traintrak5000
04-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Dave,

The desaturated car looks much better; it almost matches the generator.

I don't know how dedicated you are to this particular image, but you could even go so far as to clone the small amount of light space between the dark to get an even closer match.

-Mike

ddavies
04-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Guys, now the reality.

This technique was what the NS photographer chasing the shipment does to his images (he actually desaturates reds/yellows to leave any blues/greens). You see, to the brass, nothing on the RR has rust. :-) As long as your object is white, gray or black (basically lacking color) you can transform it to having dirt, but not rust. Your only problem is keeping the yellow grab color when you do the black NS units. Now we all know why NS paints their units black. ;-)

hoydie17
04-10-2006, 12:08 PM
But dude, the NS brass aren't screening these photos. The reality is that you've got to conform to RP.net's established standards, not the corporate board room's 'through rose colored glasses' standard.

The same way that photographer knows what his bosses want to see, you've got to put photos to RP.net that they want to see, it's called conformity.

Not only targeting you Dave, this is advice that can apply to any one of the contributors to this site.

Sean

ddavies
04-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Duh, this photograph was never sent to RP. ;-)

VirginiaSouthern
04-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Duh, this photograph was never sent to RP. ;-)

True. You did, however, ask what the RP.net view was on it.

ddavies
04-18-2006, 09:51 PM
I know the RP view, I just wanted to show you how train pictures are really used by the industry... with just a little improvement, rather than a massive "painting job."

cmherndon
04-19-2006, 03:46 AM
How does RP feel about this as far as image manipulation?

I know the RP view

Kinda contradictory...