PDA

View Full Version : Help with cropping

WSOR 3807
04-10-2006, 09:44 PM
I recently had these three photos rejected for Bad cropping:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=234547
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=234551
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=234556

In all of the photos I left it so a person can see a good portion of the train, but is this why they have been rejected? Should I crop out more of the train?

If anyone can give me any advice on how to crop these to get them up to par with RP.net standards, I would appreciate it. I'm really stumped, as I don't think they are too badly cropped myself, but then again I don't have a great eye for composition, or at least I don't think the same way RP.net does.

Thanks alot,
Noah Hofrichter
Reedsburg, WI

VirginiaSouthern
04-10-2006, 09:49 PM
1. Too much sky. Could possibly add more space under the train and let out a a little (just a hair) more to the right of the loco.

2. The locomotive needs a little breathing room in the bottom right corner. Could also probably use a little sky taken out of this one.

3. Cropped too close to the locomotive and again, could stand to lose some of the sky. Even if you recrop this one though, something is very off with the photo quality. Looks a little blurry on the lead loco, but then the rest of the photo looks a little fuzzy.

Looking back through them again, all three appear to be a bit grainy. Might just be my eyes though. Wait for others to weigh in.

Ween
04-10-2006, 10:40 PM
1. Too much sky. Could possibly add more space under the train and let out a a little (just a hair) more to the right of the loco.

2. The locomotive needs a little breathing room in the bottom right corner. Could also probably use a little sky taken out of this one.

3. Cropped too close to the locomotive and again, could stand to lose some of the sky. Even if you recrop this one though, something is very off with the photo quality. Looks a little blurry on the lead loco, but then the rest of the photo looks a little fuzzy.

Looking back through them again, all three appear to be a bit grainy. Might just be my eyes though. Wait for others to weigh in.

Concur............................................ .......

Joe the Photog
04-10-2006, 10:45 PM
I think Thomas is dead on with his assessment. I do think they are salvageable. One thing he said that I might take his to task for is the too much sky thing. However, recropping a little more space under the train in the first one and a little more breathing room for the loco in the second one will probably take care of the too much sky problem anyway. One thing I did note abot the first shot is the placement of the New Libson sign. Itr's a tad distracting to me.

All in all, the second shot is my favorite. Keep in mind I'm not a screener and they have proven that our ideas don't always mesh on what is good and what is not. But I really like the down on angle. One thing I like to do on my vertical shots is to size them at 600X800 so the viewer doesn't have to scroll so much. But that's a personal preference, nothing more.

Thomas might be right about the grain too, esp. in the third shot. Keep shooting. You have some good stuff here.

Joe H.

WSOR 3807
04-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks very much guys for your help. I really do appreciate it, and I'm going to try re-cropping the photos with the information you guys mentioned.

The grain is one problem that I do tend to have with some of my photos, especially in low light like the first shot. All I am using is a Fuji point and shoot camera with an optical zoom, and most of the time it takes nice shots, but it's not always right on, as the last photo shows. I usually try to avoid using the zoom too to keep the shots from getting too grainy, but it doesn't always help everytime. I make do though, and hopefully I can get my hands on a nicer Digital SLR camera sometime in the next few years....

Thanks again,
Noah

trainmonster
04-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Much too much sky... this is how I crop mine, and I like a stretched out train instead of a loco-centric shot, unless it's a roster.

[photoid=140087]

Rich