PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Fannin': The Last AOE in the East

Traingod
04-24-2006, 03:28 AM
I got out today for a couple hours this afternoon in Atlanta and found a couple good trains.

First up, I found an unknown SB CSX freight at Huff Rd. in Atlanta led by a clean GCFX SD40-2.
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg541b/images/ATL/gcfx3054_huff_rd.jpg

Next, I moved over to Tilford Yard. We sit for a while with not much moving on CSX, and are about to call it quits when a call from from a friend informs us about the AOE, NS O18, at Peachtree Station. We move to Mecaslin St. and shoot it in marginal light.
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg541b/images/ATL/amtk145_mecaslin_st.jpg

I guess you can't be that picky when this is the last AOE on this side of the country for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, being the hardcore railfan that I am, I decided it was a great idea to chase a 60 MPH passenger train through western GA to get some shots in better light..

I head to Winston and we get great shots at the east end of the Winston siding. O18 meets NS 154 which has a warbonnet between a pair of Catfish.
[photoid=141903]

I keep chasing on US 78 and find O18 again at Villa Ricca. If I got there 30 seconds sooner, I could've gotten a shot of it passing through town. I keep moving, get screwed by traffic just west of Villa Ricca and lose the opportunity to get a shot at Temple. However, being a hardcore railfan requires some dedication and I keep moving to Bremen where we beat it to the NS C-line diamond and I get this shot...
[photoid=141904]

At this point, I stop chasing it since I don't feel like going into Alabama. I followed US 78 back to Villa Ricca, and shot a poorly lit WB container train, and then grabbed I20 for the remainder of the trip home to downtown ATL.

Thanks for lookin',
Patrick

trainmonster
04-24-2006, 03:54 AM
Nice report!

What's the story with AOE? Any details on that?

Rich

Traingod
04-24-2006, 05:49 AM
A company bought the AOE equipment and it will now only operate in Mexico and out west...

dodi4200
04-24-2006, 09:11 AM
nice shots patrick.keep up the great work.