PDA

View Full Version : A rare report from MN...

Ween
04-24-2006, 05:56 PM
I usually don't write up trip reports as it seems I usually railfan one train at a time. But since I wrote it up for my Group, I figured I'd share:

Okay, here's the story of Saturday's day out! When we got into town, I thought I heard a BNSF 9800-series train get cleared west out of Dilworth. Since we were close to the Red River, I headed over to the Main Ave. bridge to try to snag a shot. Unfortunately, I guess I heard the scanner wrong, as nothing came westbound. I did, however, watch two punk kids walk across the RR bridge over the Red. As they were about halfway across, eastbound horns started to blow. You should've seen these punks run! A minute or so later, eastbound autoracks came busting through:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=353613 (http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=353613)

It will be interesting to see how making F-M a quiet zone (i.e. no horns) will affect morons who decide to cross the RR bridge. Anyway, list member Thomas Johnson caught this same train in Wisconsin on Sunday:
[photoid=141861]

Since nothing was coming west (or so I thought or as Murphy's Law would work out), I decided to head east in MN to Glyndon to see what I could see. It's always risky running opposite direction of the trains you're trying to photograph as you eat up space between the two of you, especially if you don't know they're coming. As I worked over to Dilworth, a Z-train left the yard. No shot. At Watts, another stack train entered Dilworth. No shot. As I got to Glyndon, an empty coal train got cleared in. No shot.

I figured this was bad news as train activity in the area seems to come in directional spurts. Turned out I was right. I got set up by the Hwy 9 underpass just east of Glyndon at the sag in the Stockwood Fill (which, BTW, is extremely noticible). In the hour and a half I was there, I watched 2 eastbounds burn by me.

The sun moved from a 3/4 angle to the tracks to almost face-on. Since I had to shoot across the eastbound tracks, I couldn't make the shot as nose-on as I would have liked to counter the face-on sun shot. So I decided to head to Hawley where the numerous curves in the area give you many more options.

As I got on Hwy 10, I heard the Staples Sub dispatcher talking to first one westbound and then another. I wasn't familiar with the points he was talking about, so I had no idea where these trains were in relation to where I wanted to get set up. I figured it was going to be Murphy's Law again as I headed east, these westbounds would pass me by. But luck was with me this time.

I was there less than 5 minutes when I saw the first westbound train snaking across the countryside:
[photoid=141878]
Not wanting to keep repeating shots from the same location, I headed east on a dirt road to see if I could get another elevated angle. This time Murphy got me as the next westbound came into view as I was leaving a spot that turned out to be a bust for the sun angle. I had to doubleback to get in postion, but it's a standard 3/4 wedgie:
[photoid=141879]

I was kind of disappointed as I have all those curves and elevation near Hawley, and I got a 5'8" 3/4 wedgie shot.

But not to fear! As I was retracing steps to get that last wedgie, I heard another westbound talking with the dispatcher. I knew it was empty coal, but the lead unit's number didn't stick with me. I got set up on the Rte 32 overpass, and was pleasantly surprised to see what was leading:
[photoid=141882]

Yet another dual-window! Not that I'm complaining; I love those things! Here's another non-zoomed shot as he went by:
[photoid=141926]

Finally, ~45 minutes after getting to Hawley, the fourth and last westbound came by:
[photoid=141887]

Those white trailers really stood out across the blossoming Spring green! Which, BTW, there's alot less snow since the last time I was in the area...and it's looking great!
Finally, an eastbound left Dilworth, and I caught it as it hit the Rte 32 overpass:
http://paulhamus.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=353614 (http://paulhamus.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=353614)

I really like that shot. The backlighting and B&W make it stand out to me.

Anyway, that's my Saturday. I have all next week off, and will be heading back down to try and get some shots on the Stockwood Fill.

Thanks for looking!

trainmonster
04-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Which, BTW, there's alot less snow since the last time I was in the area...and it's looking great![/font]
Finally, an eastbound left Dilworth, and I caught it as it hit the Rte 32 overpass:
http://paulhamus.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=353614 (http://paulhamus.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=353614)

I really like that shot. The backlighting and B&W make it stand out to me.

Anyway, that's my Saturday. I have all next week off, and will be heading back down to try and get some shots on the Stockwood Fill.

Thanks for looking!

Nice report... I really like this B&W. You did a nice processing job on it! Bummer that rrpicturearchives doesn't let you hotlink thumbnails. Tried that once and it didn't work. Maybe I'll take another crack at it.

Rich

cmherndon
04-24-2006, 09:55 PM
I really like this B&W. You did a nice processing job on it!

I second that. I never thought I could be speechless after seeing a photo of a BNSF Dash 9, but Chris, you have proved me wrong. Excellent job on that one!

Ween
04-25-2006, 04:35 AM
Fellas,

Thanks for the comments! It's those unplanned, backlit B&W shots at Hawley that seem to turn out pretty well for me. Sometimes dumb luck can go a long way!

dodi4200
04-25-2006, 12:06 PM
nice report chris.i really like the last pic and the pic of the green bnsf SD60M.
you have anice way in writing this report that make me curious and happy when im reading it.keep up the great work and show us more of this great work.

jb17kx
04-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Very nice pics. Good to see that Cascade Green is still around on the larger power, though I preffer the 3-window.
And that B&W pic is just amazing. Really good.