PDA

View Full Version : Missed UP Special-Not letting it happen again!

photogeek88
04-26-2006, 03:06 AM
I really feel out of the loop. How do you guys (i.e. everyone else with pictures of the UP E9 Business lashup) find out when the UP is running trains like that? Is there a secret phone line? Satellite hookup? I'm really confused, or maybe it's just the luck of "right place, right time." They don't show up in Illinois every day. For living a mile away from the tracks, I feel so dumb for missing them roll right through my town on Sunday, and ten minutes away on Friday. Anyone have any tips for learning this secret info?

fuente1
04-26-2006, 03:42 AM
I really feel out of the loop. How do you guys (i.e. everyone else with pictures of the UP E9 Business lashup) find out when the UP is running trains like that? Is there a secret phone line? Satellite hookup? I'm really confused, or maybe it's just the luck of "right place, right time." They don't show up in Illinois every day. For living a mile away from the tracks, I feel so dumb for missing them roll right through my town on Sunday, and ten minutes away on Friday. Anyone have any tips for learning this secret info?

Dunno about the OCS's, but you can catch the UP Steam Program in action very soon, the schedule is on UP's site. Probably be more entertaining.

Slopes09
04-26-2006, 03:53 AM
I'm rather curious also, especially about the UP E9 business lashup. It went from the UP Joliet Sub to the CN Joliet Sub and right through Lemont, with me none the wiser.

StL-rail
04-26-2006, 04:43 AM
The truth is, you usually need to have some kind of inside connection. I personally know 3 UP employees, so I get the run-down on these sort of things. There is a customer phone number, but it won't tell you anything about when certain trains are running, just where a particular car or locomotive is on the UP system.

photogeek88
04-26-2006, 07:58 PM
So would you be able to tell if the E9s are on the system by calling, and where?

4kV
04-27-2006, 05:13 AM
My advice would be to join some local yahoo groups or something similar. Although I know some UP people who may or may not tell me such information, it was darn near impossible here in STL not to know about it. I'm sure UP frowns upon such information being perpetuated before the event, but it happens. There are people, fans and employees, who keep their lips sealed for this reason.

CNW4404
04-28-2006, 04:00 PM
So would you be able to tell if the E9s are on the system by calling, and where?

Equipment trace is secured access: employees and shippers only.

StL-rail
04-28-2006, 05:48 PM
There are people, fans and employees, who keep their lips sealed for this reason.

Which is exactly why I didn't give out anymore information than I already have. I don't want to get anyone in trouble, nor do I wish to give out sensitive information.

fuente1
04-28-2006, 05:57 PM
The unknown showing up is half the fun of railfanning. We had a NS Track Geometry train show up unexpectedly one day, made our day. Check out the UP Steam Program page for their schedule and chase the smoke! You can FEEL 3985 coming into town.

jhinkhouse
05-01-2006, 07:44 PM
... but you can see some of the other UP locomotives (Heritage, George Bush, Olymic Torch Relay, and such) by dialing up www.drgw.net/locotrace. Although it seems like they rarely come to Chicago ... go figure ... I think it's relatively accurate.

ken45
05-11-2006, 05:17 PM
... but you can see some of the other UP locomotives (Heritage, George Bush, Olymic Torch Relay, and such) by dialing up www.drgw.net/locotrace. Although it seems like they rarely come to Chicago ... go figure ... I think it's relatively accurate.

LOL! WHen I was in Chicago last march, the MP, MKT, and 2001 Torch Relay were all in Chicago. I couldn't make it out to GLobal 2 to see MP and MKT, but I did catch 2001 at Global 1. Two days later, the WP unit was in Chicago too.