PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER Close Call

NSFan14
05-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Well Saturday Me and my dad was in new albany,IND Following a UP Train Down The Monon Well There On 15 street we was taking a Pic. Well Behinds Was A Sidewalk And I Noticed 3 wemen Was Running(ALL 3 HAD STROLLERS WITH BABYS IN THEM)And I Was Like There Is No Way That There Gonna Make It If They Run Acrossed Well 2 stopped and 1 Was Still Moving And I Wish I Could Of Got A Pic. Of This But i Was In Shock The ladie was going acrossed And the train was going 10 MPH And It Was Less Then 50 feet away MAYBE 35 FEET But Here Stroller wheel got stuck well by the time she got it UNstuck The Train Was 25 feet AWAY which Is Close And Its Was Very Close Call Her Friends Was In Shock But That Just Goes 2 show How Stupid People Can Be

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
05-21-2006, 09:44 PM
I wish you got a shot of that. Thats definitely very stupid but its funny that someone would put their child (maybe theres) in danger just to be where they need to be 5 minutes sooner. If they were all together wouldn't she have to wait for the other two anyway? Gotta love stupid people.

Ken Carr
05-22-2006, 05:35 AM
On March 15th we ran the Operation Lifesaver train on the BMI or Henderson Branch, speed limit is 15 mph. We had one female beat the train pushing her 18 month old. She was pushing so hard that when the stroller hit the second rail, she snapped off the wheel and kept going right into one of our Special Agents.
What you report is a common occaurance. If I'm not mistaken a similiar inicdent occurred when a baby sitter took three children across the tracks one at a time and one of the children followed her back and was hit by a train.

jaanfo
05-22-2006, 07:49 AM
I saw a byciclist just the other day, breezed in front of a Coaster with (literally) about 3 feet to spare while the train was moving at least 30 MPH. I'd almost venture to say the Coupler grazed his back tire. And with a commuter train you're talking, what, 30 seconds of waiting??? Why are people such idiots?

4kV
05-23-2006, 02:24 AM
Well Saturday Me and my dad was in new albany,IND Following a UP Train Down The Monon..... That Just Goes 2 show How Stupid People Can Be

For the record, CSX runs on the old Monon, not UP, so that was not a UP train. It was a CSX train with UP power. Yes, people can be stupid.

NSFan14
05-23-2006, 06:56 PM
For the record, CSX runs on the old Monon, not UP, so that was not a UP train. It was a CSX train with UP power. Yes, people can be stupid.
Yes Im Sorry Thats What I Meant

SamD
06-22-2006, 06:48 AM
On March 15th we ran the Operation Lifesaver train on the BMI or Henderson Branch, speed limit is 15 mph...

Amtrak had an Operation Lifesaver F40 with the Lifesaver logo right on the front of the engine (I think there's a picture of it somewhere on this site). The first time I saw it I couldn't help thinking how morbidly ironic it would be if that engine was ever involed in a fatal crossing accident. The last thing the victim would ever see would be that big Operation Lifesaver logo. I think it's just as well that that logo placement didn't catch on.

On another related note, I saw in LaGrange IL today that there are now signs up saying "LaGrange Police arrest crossing violations." You'd think the $500 fine that most towns have would be enough, but I guess LaGrange decided that wasn't enough.

WembYard
06-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Stupidity and impatience is not confined to your side of the Atlantic.
Network Rail in the UK has recently launched a 'Don't run the risk' campaign.

see
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/2292.aspx

Adverts have appeared (and will continue to appear) on TV and radio and in the press to highlight the dangers of level crossing misuse.