PDA

View Full Version : BNSF SD70s in California

StackTrain
05-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Hello and I am new here!

I have been looking here over photos of my favorite railroad BNSF in California, and noticed that they mostly operate Dash 9s here and seldom are there any SD75s. Is there a reason for this? Thanks.

busyEMT
05-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Most likely due to 2 reasons. First, the SD70s and 75 were dedicated to coal service out of the Powder River Basin in WY.

Second, and probably less likely, BNSF assigns locomotive fleets to a home yard for service. Without benefit of a book I have, I believe the SD70s are shopped out of NE, KS or MT.

I would love to see more of the ex-SF B23-7s, but they stick to the Galesburg, IL area.

BNSF_SD40-2B
05-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Most likely due to 2 reasons. First, the SD70s and 75 were dedicated to coal service out of the Powder River Basin in WY.

Second, and probably less likely, BNSF assigns locomotive fleets to a home yard for service. Without benefit of a book I have, I believe the SD70s are shopped out of NE, KS or MT.

I would love to see more of the ex-SF B23-7s, but they stick to the Galesburg, IL area.

Could the book you talk about be by Robert DelGrosso? :D

busyEMT
05-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Could the book you talk about be by Robert DelGrosso? :D

Yes it is. If it isn't with me trackside, it is on my computer desk.

According to the book mentioned above [ BNSF Railway 2004-2005 Locomotive Review; Del Grosso, Robert C. ], SD75Ms are out of Glendive, MT; SD70MACs are listed as out of Alliance, NE.

cmherndon
05-27-2006, 03:52 AM
I have been looking here over photos of my favorite railroad BNSF in California, and noticed that they mostly operate Dash 9s here and seldom are there any SD75s

Also take into consideration that BNSF has over 1000 Dash 9s. The laws of probability also prevail, regardless of where the fleets are based out of.