PDA

View Full Version : Trespassers, drinking, trains...

Christopher Muller
06-03-2006, 10:58 AM
This evening near Bemidji, Minnesota a group of intoxicated young people were either walking on or passed out on the BNSF mainline running through the area. A train came through and there was atleast two fatalities, possibly more. A tragic event that could and should have been prevented.

More info and updates...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/northernminnesotarail

4kV
06-03-2006, 12:47 PM
And to follow will be the usual bunch of lawsuits. You know, BNSF should have known these clowns were drinking on the tracks, and should have done something to prevent it. Any responsibility in the situation on the part of these drunken morons should certainly be excused.

busyEMT
06-03-2006, 04:23 PM
I wonder if the rest will sober up?

Christopher Muller
06-04-2006, 01:08 AM
http://www.startribune.com/462/story/471584.html

busyEMT
06-04-2006, 02:28 PM
I wonder if they had a suicide pact. To not move, but just wave?

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
06-04-2006, 11:07 PM
I feel worse for the railroads for having to take *stuff* from the families and friends of the morons who were partaking of the activity. Its stories like this that make me feel a little better that the idiots of this country are slowly being dwindled down.

Frederick
06-05-2006, 12:57 AM
Awww its so sad...HA! I feel worse for the railroads for having to take *stuff* from the families and friends of the morons who were partaking of the activity. Its stories like this that make me feel a little better that the idiots of this country are slowly being dwindled down.

I wouldn't call them morons... as you know, when you're drunk, reaction times and awareness levels plummet. Also, it's not in good taste to say stuff like that about people who have died. Even if they ARE morons.

4kV
06-05-2006, 01:12 AM
......the idiots of this country are slowly being dwindled down.

They are? That's news to me.

Joe the Photog
06-05-2006, 02:34 AM
I'm more concerned at how the train crew deals with this than sitting around bitching about morons or lawsuits or Darwin Award winners.

Joe

LAHDPOP
06-05-2006, 02:48 AM
I'm more concerned at how the train crew deals with this than sitting around bitching about morons or lawsuits or Darwin Award winners.

Joe

Exactly. The conductor, at least, probably had to walk back to the impact point, which had to be awful for him, to check on any survivors. The engineer will have the image of their faces, and their final wave, with him forever.

Not feeling sorry for the dead is one thing. But saying "HA!" about any of this is absolutely immature and shows your age. There's nothing funny about what any of the train crew or first responders are having to deal with. A train versus pedestrian makes an awful mess.

Niles
07-03-2006, 05:35 PM
I live in Kingston Ontario and its crazy how many people I see walking across or down the tracks everytime I go out to take photos. Many take trails that cross the tracks because its much shorter, but its not worth it. Most trains that go through kingston are going at least 60km's an hour and as you all know, trains brakes aren't like cars. I wish there is something that can be done about rail crossers because when people are hit the feelings of those in the train must be horrible. Unfortunally CN puts fences up, but people just cut holes in them. Basically then as far as I'm concerned, if you cross the tracks then be prepared to get hit, and if you get hurt or die, CN or whoever should not be responsible, your the tresspasser!

Traisessive
07-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble ... but track speed in Kingston is 85/80 MPH for passenger and 65/60 MPH for freights through Kingston. So its A LOT faster than 60kph.

Ween
07-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble ... but track speed in Kingston is 85/80 MPH for passenger and 65/60 MPH for freights through Kingston. So its A LOT faster than 60kph.

That's why he said:

Most trains that go through kingston are going at least 60km's an hour

Traisessive
07-05-2006, 02:16 AM
I refuse to waste my time on a flame war ... I am merely stating the accurate speeds of what the trains do. And 60 kph is very slow so also it could have been a typo on his behalf.

VirginiaSouthern
07-05-2006, 02:35 AM
Ween wasn't trying to create a flame war. He was merely clarifying another member's post for you since you didn't seem to read it properly the first time. Take a step back and chill out for a sec. This is just the internet.

Ween
07-05-2006, 05:27 AM
didn't seem to read it properly the first time.

Yeah, that was the point. But no flaming goes on here anyway...

becker
07-07-2006, 06:16 PM
I refuse to waste my time on a flame war ... I am merely stating the accurate speeds of what the trains do. And 60 kph is very slow so also it could have been a typo on his behalf.

So, in other words, clarifying the body of someone's post (in this case, the track speed) is a flame war? First time I've heard something like this... :rolleyes:

Tåg
09-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Exactly. The conductor, at least, probably had to walk back to the impact point, which had to be awful for him, to check on any survivors. The engineer will have the image of their faces, and their final wave, with him forever.

Thankfully we are not required to view the carnage. Some guys do go back to the accident area, but I just sit in the cab and wait until the emergency responders show up.

A few months ago I had a woman standing in the middle of the tracks that just turned around and covered her ears. I have the womans face etched in my mind.

ChrisPaul3
09-28-2006, 04:36 AM
That's terrible! Do you guys get compencated for that? I mean, the RR companies have to do something to keep guys working after all that, I'm sure some guys feel like quitting after something like that. How much do engineers make? If I were in charge, I'd pay them WELL for going through sick stuff like that. There aren't very many professions were one has to live with killing somebody.

Tåg
09-29-2006, 09:40 AM
That's terrible! Do you guys get compencated for that? I mean, the RR companies have to do something to keep guys working after all that, I'm sure some guys feel like quitting after something like that. How much do engineers make? If I were in charge, I'd pay them WELL for going through sick stuff like that. There aren't very many professions were one has to live with killing somebody.

We have the option of taking three days off. Its just part of the job. It sucks but you just deal with it.