PDA

View Full Version : Urban Art

Gregory Wallace
11-12-2003, 04:43 PM
In a post on another topic, kd4jsl mentioned "urban art" on the sides of freight cars.

I was wondering: what do the railroads think of this, and what do they do about it? Is it merely a nuisance, or does it cause some kind of real problem? Are people ever prosecuted for doing this?

Thanks,
~Gregory (NOT an urban artist)

oltmannd
11-12-2003, 05:12 PM
It is a problem. The "art" can cover over required markings on the car such as the init and number and inpection data/dates. If it's sprayed onto an autorack, the overspray can get on finished vehicles.

It seems that the cities have done a good job getting after the stationary canvases so they've taken to railcars.

-Don

iCe
11-12-2003, 10:23 PM
I don't like grafity anywhere. :(

billdaniels
11-14-2003, 01:50 AM
I have begun to archive some of the "better" pieces( there is NO GOOD URBAN ART) though some of it is quite good. Tagging is not art.

Mike Mesa
12-10-2003, 07:32 PM
yes, im sure all of you are anti graffiti. Not all graffiti writers are idiots when it comes to painting trains. We know its illegal and that we shouldnt be doing it but thats not a topic im going to cover. A great majority of people painting trains do know not to go over the numbers and any other important information on the cars. It saves alot of headached when you need to read them to see whats what with each car. There are 'rules' within painting trains, and the people that do follow them usually drive the idiots out of spots. We also do know that its stupid to paint full autoracks, not only does it piss the rail company off, but the car companies as well that pay to transport, and in turn gets more rail police patrolling... I guess im posting this to let the workers that visit this forum that there are people out there that give a shit about your trains when theyre painting them. Its not something that will stop by any means no matter how many people are policing the yards, just trying to shed a little light on to the situation

oltmannd
12-10-2003, 08:56 PM
Its not something that will stop by any means no matter how many people are policing the yards,

Don't bet on it, Mike. If NYC stopped graffiti on the subway cars (maybe before your era - do you remember what was going on there in the early 70s?) then the frt RRs will eventually get a handle on it. Here's a hint, it wasn't policing that stopped it.

-Don

oltmannd
12-10-2003, 09:08 PM
A great majority of people painting trains do know not to go over the numbers and any other important information on the cars.

How do you know what's important and what's not? If I had a buck for every lube stencil I saw that had to be reapplied over graffiti......

-Don

E.M. Bell
12-10-2003, 11:13 PM
From a railroaders point of view, I hope the RR police lock up each and every "urban artisit" they catch. Not only does it cost big bucks to repair the damage, its down right dangerous. I dont give a rats ass how good you think you are, how safe you are or what ever...its still tresspassing, vandalism, and just wrong. Its "thoughtful" of them not to paint over reporting marks ect, but its still aganst the law, plain and simple...but then again, in this day and age, the kids (and some adults) seem to think they are above the law.....must go back to the way the way they are rasied.

To bad they dont put that talent (and I will admit, I Have seen a few example that took talent to do) and put it towards more constructive projects.

Mike Mesa
12-19-2003, 03:51 AM
I knew that I would get this sort of reply on a railfan website.. say what you'd like... graffiti on freight trains will not stop just like it hasnt on walls... i know exactly what it is, yes it is wrong, yes it is vandalism, yes it is a pain in the ass for rail workers, yes it is dangerous to have people in the yards doing it... i knew that a long time ago

iCe
12-19-2003, 04:06 AM
i know exactly what it is, yes it is wrong, yes it is vandalism, yes it is a pain in the ass for rail workers, yes it is dangerous to have people in the yards doing it... i knew that a long time ago

So why do you do it? :roll:

slackaction
12-19-2003, 05:04 AM
People like that feel that they are above the law, but I look at it this way, one day When they are out there on the property (they call that tresspassing), painting their filth on the side of a car or engine (they call that vandalisim), thier luck is going to run out, they are going to get ran over, electrocuted or what ever, and BAM..one more set of stupid genes out of the gene pool...so see, in a broader sense, graffiti DOES make the world a better place in the long run!

oltmannd
12-19-2003, 01:47 PM
I knew that I would get this sort of reply on a railfan website.. say what you'd like... graffiti on freight trains will not stop just like it hasnt on walls... i know exactly what it is, yes it is wrong, yes it is vandalism, yes it is a pain in the ass for rail workers, yes it is dangerous to have people in the yards doing it... i knew that a long time ago

You're sugar-coating it. It is STEALING - from ME - a stock holder and employee.

I suspect the real reason you don't paint over reporting marks is not real concern for the RR, but so that no one paints over your art.

I have seen where graffiti can be stopped. All it takes is a commitment to destroy the "works of art" as fast as they are created. The center city district of Philly has been clean for at least a decade. Ditto for the NYC TA.

You know it's wrong, but somehow it's OK for you to do it? You'll probably get caught some day. You can't possibly run very fast dragging around that large ego.

busyEMT
12-19-2003, 07:25 PM
For the non-railroad employee, one possible solution (as long as you aren't trespassing) is: call the RR police.

Each BNSF timetable ends with the message to "Report Trespassers" and most crossings or boxes sport 1-800 numbers.

Not only will it decrease obstructing "art" and help the pocketbooks of employees and stockholders, but it may lend a better name to us railfans.

egll
01-08-2004, 10:36 AM
It's no better here in the UK, I was working in a station yesterday which had been the victim of a very heavy graffiti attack the previous night, the result was that we have had to pay someone to spend two days cleaning it up when they could have been doing something far more important. :x

Also, last week a guy was jailed for two years for repeated graffiti attacks on the London Undergound. :)

Matt