PDA

View Full Version : Yet another unique engine on CSX...

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
06-11-2006, 03:05 AM
It appears there is another 'rare' engine to look out for while fannin CSX now. While sitting by the CSX Trenton Line in Hopewell, NJ, I shot the attached photo of SD70MAC #4767. The train is heading south towards Trenton and Philadelphia.

Here is the most recent photo of the loco taken May 9, 2006:
[photoid=144002]
Note the blue "CSX" on the nose in that photo and the gold "CSX" on the nose in my shot from June 10, 2006. It seems somehow in a month the letters have changed colors! At first it looked like there was nothing on the nose but while looking at the pictures on the computer I noticed the gold lettering. Just something to watch out for to make CSX a little more interesting!

Frederick
06-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Is it really golden lettering? It looks somewhat like the lettering was removed, and dirt hasn't had time to collect there.

Ween
06-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Is it really golden lettering? It looks somewhat like the lettering was removed, and dirt hasn't had time to collect there.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm assuming the 'CSX' letters on the nose are stickers or decals which have been removed. I could be wrong though...

busyEMT
06-11-2006, 05:54 PM
It looks as if the yellow faded. I think the decals came off and obviously the paint underneath was not subjected to the weather and sunlight.

ddavies
06-12-2006, 12:50 PM
For some reason, the 4700 nose decals seem to be very fragile. Here is 4787 without a "CSX." I have seen numerous units that have had the X turned into a Y.

BNSF_SD40-2B
06-12-2006, 01:34 PM
I would have to agree with the above people. It seems the decals have pealed right off! I don't understand why CSX themselves would take the decals off so I think it's just weathering. Actually this sortof reminds me of when new black top roads are layed here in IL. They put temporary yellow decals in the middle of the road until they get the truck that spray paints the bigger stripes on. They leave the stripes on for ahwile and when it comes time to spray the official stripes on they apply heat to the decal. They peel it off and there's a darker black stripe left on the black top.

You now that I think of it, sometimes when a locomotive or frieght car gets a new owner it looks like as if they peel the decal off too. I've always wondered how they could paint over a letter perfectly as same letter it was. This doesn't happen to every locomotive or freight car sold but ir does happen.