PDA

View Full Version : Just because.......

WisconsinCentral
06-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Am I the only one who thought this shot of the DRGW heritage unit got in just because it was the heritage unit. High sun (heck the sun isnt even on that side of the engine) and poor lighting. Now dont get me wrong, its a good shot, but this is what railpictures would reject any other time. Sorry for my rant, but I just get the wrong message.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=147872

Then the well lit shot
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=148075

Ok, im done.

Alec

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
06-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Its because it was the first uploaded although you knew 20 more well-lit ones were to follow soon after.

ssw9662
06-24-2006, 11:03 PM
I have to agree with Alec here. The shot is good however if it were anything else, I doubt it would have got on because of the high sun and backlighting. For a website that stresses the importance of high quality photos (Which I think it has done sucessfully), some shots don't need to be accepted just because they are newsworthy.

cmherndon
06-25-2006, 04:53 AM
Am I the only one who thought this shot of the DRGW heritage unit got in just because it was the heritage unit.

I'll have to agree with you on that. Seems like photo quality or techical aspects take a backseat if it's newsworthy. At least it's not a picture of a tarp though.

some shots don't need to be accepted just because they are newsworthy.

Exactly.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
06-25-2006, 06:07 AM
some shots don't need to be accepted just because they are newsworthy.
Newsworthy...no. Rare...yes! There is a difference. How long will this locomotive be around to capture it acceptable conditions? My guess would be a (using this word loosely)few years.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
06-25-2006, 06:09 AM
At least it's not a picture of a tarp though.
LMFAO!!! Yet that tarp/plow has been viewed 2000+ times! X-ray vision?!

cmherndon
06-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Newsworthy...no. Rare...yes! There is a difference.

Yes, there is a difference, but standards should be upheld regardless.

that tarp/plow has been viewed 2000+ times! X-ray vision?!

I'd say it's more of a case of an influx of tarp foamer traffic.

Ken Carr
06-25-2006, 01:28 PM
I agree with you Andrew, I submitted a derailment photo that was backlite and it was accepted. When I caught my mistake and attempted to correct it with a similiar photo that was properly lite well I had to many photos of the accident scene and it was rejected. That just how things are done here. But that's ok.
Over all if you want to show case your work this is the place, so I'll deal with their choices. Thanks to RP I've have a number of clients on retainer just for rail photos here in Las Vegas. Something I never thought possible three years ago. So its allowed me to pay for my camera equipment and will soon allow me to upgrade.

Joe the Photog
06-26-2006, 12:21 PM
There's not any here among us that if they got the first shot of the Rio Grande unit and wasn't able to get a better lit one would NOT submitt that first picture. And then if it were rejected for backlighting, the cry would be, "But it's newsworthy!" It's a decent shot; it was the FIRST one here of the 1989.

And which one has more views? The one thats a little backlit? Or the one that is lit almost perfect?

Joe

Joe the Photog
06-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Just for kicks, go back and which two shots of the 1989 are the most viewed.

[photoid=147872]

[photoid=146818]

Yep, it's the backlit one followed closely by the first tarp shot.

VirginiaSouthern
06-27-2006, 03:21 PM
I agree with Caleb. This is nothing new though. There have been plenty of shots, even in the short time I've been on the site, that have gotten in purely on "rare" or "newsworthy" as the techincal aspects left much to be desired. The standards should be upheld regardless. Whether the backlit one has more views than the well lit one is a moot point. In my opinion the standards were bent in order to slip this one in. If the standards were continously upheld, you might also find less people bitching about why their picture didn't get in when this one did.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
06-28-2006, 05:05 PM
If the standards were continously upheld, you might also find less people bitching about why their picture didn't get in when this one did.
Its called consistency. With more than one screener this is hard to achieve thus they invented "appeals" and "comment to screener". To beat a dead horse, I could see if they were repainting the engine in a month or two into the UP scheme but they aren't, this will be around for a while. You knew this would be widely covered for the first few days and unless the forecast was for cloudy, waiting for a sun-lit shot should have been uphelp. If one was to shoot the last DRW painted engine in backlit or high sun conditions...would it be accepted just because its newsworthy probably not because there are photos of it on already. This is the same situation just tweaked a bit, instead of being the last engine painted this way it was just being unveiled.

4kV
06-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Am I the only one who thought this shot of the DRGW heritage unit got in just because it was the heritage unit. High sun (heck the sun isnt even on that side of the engine) and poor lighting.
Alec

Nope, I thought that the second it came up, although I figured it was typical here.

There's not any here among us that if they got the first shot of the Rio Grande unit and wasn't able to get a better lit one would NOT submitt that first picture.

I wouldn't, if I were still uploading to the site. I'd screen it myself and file it away. My goal is never to be first, it's to be best, or at least try to be best. Why settle for less? This isn't a race, at least to me. I'd rather take one hell of a neat lit or scenic shot of this DRGW two years from now than a backlit roster shot sitting in a parking lot with a tarp over it.

And which one has more views? The one thats a little backlit? Or the one that is lit almost perfect?
Joe

Probably the one that is not lit as well, since it was uploaded first and had a good head start.

There is a set of misconceptions on this site and many others:

First = best.
Most viewed is a measure of photographic merit
Quantity of pics on railpictures.net is a measure of your expertise.

As someone so eloquently mentioned recently elsewhere, how many pictures does O. Winston Link have on this site?

I've given the advice to several people, try to be best, not first. If the two coincide, hey, that's great.

Does anyone remember the first shot of the Katy? It's no longer on this site, or at least I could not find it, but it was unlevel, it was a trailing unit, and there was a light post in the way. Why that should get accepted is beyond me, but not my call anyway. How many much better pics came forth within days? Plenty.

cmherndon
07-01-2006, 01:40 AM
There is a set of misconceptions on this site and many others:

First = best.
Most viewed is a measure of photographic merit
Quantity of pics on railpictures.net is a measure of your expertise.

Yeah, there are several "photographers" here that feel that way. I've never understood that logic behind that. The comment about O. Winston Link is dead on.

Probably the one that is not lit as well, since it was uploaded first and had a good head start.

I'd venture to say that you're right on that. I can certainly guarantee that if the well lit shot was uploaded first, then it would have more views.

Ru1056
07-01-2006, 01:51 AM
I'd rather take one hell of a neat lit or scenic shot of this DRGW two years from now than a backlit roster shot sitting in a parking lot with a tarp over it.

But doesn't the fact the tarp isn't gonna be around for long make it newsworthy?

And given UP's track record, maybe RP wanted all the shots of a <i><b> clean</i></b> locomotive.

hoydie17
07-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Nope, I thought that the second it came up, although I figured it was typical here.

That is a problem. People should be coming to look at RP.net because the photos are well done, and technically sound, not because they are "newsworthy".

That's what TrainOrders and various Yahoo Groups are for. RP.net is supposed to represent the cream of the crop in railroad photography, not news photos.

Sean

Ween
07-01-2006, 08:37 PM
My goal is never to be first, it's to be best, or at least try to be best.

Well, you're starting out with one foot in the hole by shooting UP! Sorry...

4kV
07-01-2006, 10:07 PM
But doesn't the fact the tarp isn't gonna be around for long make it newsworthy?

True, I never thought of it that way. That was one cool tarp. I think they should have cut it into pieces at the unveiling and handed them to everyone attending.

Well, you're starting out with one foot in the hole by shooting UP! Sorry...

Nope, I'm not even going to give you the thrill of responding to this. I won't do it. I won't lower myself to the same level. Dangit, I guess I just did anyway, didn't I?

Ween
07-02-2006, 10:50 PM
I'll play Devil's Advocate just because no one else has.

For a website that stresses the importance of high quality photos (Which I think it has done sucessfully), some shots don't need to be accepted just because they are newsworthy.

People should be coming to look at RP.net because the photos are well done, and technically sound, not because they are "newsworthy".

From a business perspective (which RP.net most certainly is), it makes sense to try and have the first photo of something (anything) newsworthy. That gives you a scoop over others and can generate more business and visitors to the site which ultimately leads to a positive outcome.

Think about it, if this was the first shot publically posted, it gets linked to all the railfan sites, message boards, and e-mail lists. That means 11,026 (to date) folks have checked it out. That's alot of advertisements being viewed. That's alot of people who might not have known RP.net existed.

While, yes, this shot would be rejected if it were a wedgie of a Dash 9, but it does carry the extra weight of being 'newsworthy.' Heck, the main RP.net homepage has a running scroll touting 'Latest News,' so the argument that RP.net isn't in the newworthy business is bunk.

Finally, from a history perspective, there is only one unveiling of this unit. So it captures history, and if you look, it's the only roster shot from the front of the right side of the unit on unveiling day (and to date, the only one from the front right on RP.net period).

Yes, there will be more shots of this unit in the future that meet RP.net standards, but from a historical perspective, this is the only shot from the front right on Day 1 of this unit's life. And just to reiterate, from a business perspective, it would make zero sense to reject this photo if accepting it meant gaining so much more (money, viewers, new members, etc.) than any bitches about consistency in screening...