PDA

View Full Version : Spots in Detroit

DAKIBSRR
06-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Anybody have any ideas to get some good pictures in the Detroit area ? I will be heading up there for a vaction and hoping to get some different pictures then what I get from around here. Thanks for your time and cooperation.

Sincerely,
David Kibitlewski

Wade H. Massie
07-06-2006, 03:55 PM
I haven't shot much around Detroit, but from what I've seen it can be pretty tough to find good locations in the city. Probably the best spot for action is Del Ray, south of downtown. It's located right next to I-75 and several line cross by a manned tower. The surrounding neighborhood isn't great, but it should be OK in the daytime.

Another busy spot is Romulus, west of the city near the airport. CSX and NS cross on a diamond: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=43611

hoydie17
07-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Anybody have any ideas to get some good pictures in the Detroit area ? I will be heading up there for a vaction and hoping to get some different pictures then what I get from around here. Thanks for your time and cooperation.

Sincerely,
David Kibitlewski

Wow, vacation in Detroit? Where do you live now? Baghdad?

Couldn't resist!

Sean

a231pacific
07-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Tom Nanos posted a report of his trip to Detroit on Obscar. The link to his website, which has the photos is http://www.nanosphoto.com/gallery/index.php?cat=15

There are plenty of interesting locations in the Detroit area, but you need some help digging them out. Delray is certainly one good spot, but pay attention, it's not the greatest neighborhood.

Consider going to Toledo, about an hour south. There is a ton of railroad activity there, plus interesting waterfront locations. Or drive an hour north west to Durand and watch all the GTW activity where the lines cross.

Go to the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village or head up to Flint (an hour north) to Crossroads Village for steam.

Donna
07-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Deray is not so bad. I go there every once in a while. It is an old Hungarian neighborhood. Patroled by the police and the NS police. No one bothers you over there.

Donna

DAKIBSRR
07-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Wow, vacation in Detroit? Where do you live now? Baghdad?

Couldn't resist!

Sean

No, not really, Chicago. :roll: :shock:

David Kibitlewski

DTandI
08-01-2006, 07:33 PM
There is an old conrail yard at seventeen mile and Vandyke. It is still in use but as a N/S yard. I have seen many different locomotives there. Several styles of BNSF, NS, Csx Etc.