PDA

View Full Version : "Bad Cropping"

becker
07-03-2006, 05:51 AM
What are the particular reasons for receiving the "bad cropping" rejection? I seem to get this rejection quite often, yet the rejection doesn't really state what is meant by it.

For example, I recently submitted this photo:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=263727

It was rejected for "Bad Cropping". I don't know what they mean by this or how to modify the photo to take care of it.

--Louis Becker

LAHDPOP
07-03-2006, 05:55 AM
The first thing that picture needs is some more breathing room on the left. It's cropped much too close to the engine. You're probably gonna want to rotate it CW a bit, too. After all that, they're likely to tell you there's not enough sun on the nose, but cross that bridge if you get to it.

EDIT: Also, did you happen to snap a shot a second or two earlier, before the lead engine got to that high wire tower? If so, you might want to try it instead. Just a thought.

becker
07-03-2006, 03:25 PM
EDIT: Also, did you happen to snap a shot a second or two earlier, before the lead engine got to that high wire tower? If so, you might want to try it instead. Just a thought.

Yes; I actually took several shots. I am working now to figure out which is the best :-)

--Louis

LAHDPOP
07-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Yes; I actually took several shots. I am working now to figure out which is the best :-)

--Louis

Good. As you're looking through them, see if there's a shot where you've got enough room on the left so it's not as tight on the locomotive, and if possible, that tower isn't sticking up out of the top of the locomotive.

hoydie17
07-03-2006, 06:02 PM
I can see what you were hoping to do in this shot, at least I think you were trying to show as much of the train as possible.

My personal rule of thumb for the 3/4 wedgie like that is if you can't efficiently show the entire train, don't try to. I rarely if ever allow the photo to cut off a train, I find a way to make it fit, even if I have to close the angle more. I don't want the train to dominate the photo, I want it to be part of the whole image.

In this example when you recrop the train is going to get cut off by the right border of the picture. Had the right border been "masked" by trees or a building, or if the train was snaking off around a corner it would have been fine.

In this case it would be better to crop the frame to bring the engines back closer to the center of the image. Don't worry about how many of the cars you cut off, we see those all the time.

Maybe it's just me, but the photo looks to be unlevel as well. Be forewarned, that could be your next rejection reason if you correct the cropping.

JMTC,
Sean

Ween
07-03-2006, 08:52 PM
...or if the train was snaking off around a corner it would have been fine.

'A' corner is right. There's only one corner for 20+ miles on the sub he took that shot from!!!

becker
07-04-2006, 01:35 AM
'A' corner is right. There's only one corner for 20+ miles on the sub he took that shot from!!!

Chris/Ween, you are correct, that's the exact problem. Not much to work with, just a bunch of open space.

A rare curve in this line can be found in this (http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=149803) shot, which is taken at Arvilla, 17 miles west of my location in the rejected photo.

Locals are also a lot easier to photograph around here, as seen in this (http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=146634) shot in Cavalier, ND, on the Dakota Northern RR. That line is a lot more scenic as well, making photography a whole lot easier. Unfortunately, the line sees, on average, less than a train per day.

--Louis