PDA

View Full Version : Digital Rebel XT help-- Error99

Crusader
07-06-2006, 09:43 PM
OK, as many of you know, I'm a long-time advocate for film cameras. But when my wife got a Canon Digital Rebel XT as a baby-shower gift, I couldn't resist trying it out.

And it worked great. For two weeks.

Now, every time we try to take a picture (indoors or out, flash or no), we get "Error99" on the screen.

We've tried:
1. Removing and replacing the battery
2. Recharging the battery (whether it needed it or not)
3. Removing the Canon 35-80mm lens and cleaning the lens contacts
4. Trying to shoot in different modes
5. Calling 1-800-OKCanon...which told us to try all of the above.

Since it was a gift, and was bought online, it seems unlikely that we'll get our money back. If we're lucky, we may be able to get the camera serviced (but will have to send it back to the manufacturer and wait several weeks).

So, before we go thru all that BS.... I thought I'd tap the expertise of those on these boards. Anybody have a Canon digital SLR and run into this problem? Any troubleshooting suggestions?

All help appreciated.

-Charlie

PS - Today, the above mentioned malfunction caused me to miss two interesting NS lashups.

Frederick
07-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Error 99 means the lens contacts are dirty. (Either on the lens or camera body.) It happens more frequently with older lenses.

I've heard that a pencil eraser can solve this problem if used correctly, but don't let shavings from the eraser fall inside the camera body.

Joe the Photog
07-07-2006, 12:30 AM
I got an Err99 one of the first times I put a different lens on the camera than the kit lens. Turns out the older lens was not compatible. If there is something else going on here, Canon's customer service treated me excellently when I had my Super Wide angle lens die on me the day after the warranity ran out. They fixed it for free. All I had to pay for was the shipping to get it there.

Joe

Ween
07-07-2006, 02:46 AM
So that's where I'd focus: is the lens capabtible? Is it old? What lens were you using for 2 weeks?

Other than that, it doesn't matter where you bought it, it should still have a 1 year manufacturer's warranty (unless it's a foreign model or it's over a year old and was bought used).

Crusader
07-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the replies...

To fill in the blanks:
a. My main lens is a Canon 35-80mm lens (about 3 years old). I also tried a newer Canon 200mm lens with the same results.
b. 35mm lens worked fine for the first 2 weeks.
c. I did try the eraser trick (as suggested by the 1-800-OKCanon tech); unfortunately, no luck.

Guess it's back to the shop.

Thanks anyway.
-Charlie

busyEMT
07-07-2006, 08:43 PM
From all I learned, while dealing with Err99s, is this is Canon's generic code for whatever.

My most likely was the shutter life had expired. Since you probably haven't taken 10,000+ photos, this shouldn't be your problem.

You may have a defective CF card. While there are specific codes for CF Card errors, this doesn't mean it can't be the memory.

Frederick
07-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the replies...

To fill in the blanks:
a. My main lens is a Canon 35-80mm lens (about 3 years old). I also tried a newer Canon 200mm lens with the same results.
b. 35mm lens worked fine for the first 2 weeks.
c. I did try the eraser trick (as suggested by the 1-800-OKCanon tech); unfortunately, no luck.

Guess it's back to the shop.

Thanks anyway.
-Charlie

I've never heard of either of those lenses. Some of them are only compatible with film SLR's.

Crusader
07-08-2006, 04:24 AM
I've never heard of either of those lenses. Some of them are only compatible with film SLR's.

Just to be sure, I took the digital body to my local camera shop and had them select a brand new compatible lens from the shelf. Still got "Error99".

busyEMT
07-08-2006, 03:28 PM
It may need to be shipped back for some warranty work.

Frederick
07-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Try shooting a frame without a memory card. It doesn't save the photo, but it might work just to see if there's an issue with the memory card/slot.

Crusader
07-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Try shooting a frame without a memory card. It doesn't save the photo, but it might work just to see if there's an issue with the memory card/slot.

Tried this too. Got "Error99", so at least we know it's not the card. Thanks for all the suggestions... the camera's going back for repairs. Ugh.

I can't help but feel like I've just driven a new car off the lot, only to have the transmission drop out after 500 yards.

Ween
07-19-2006, 06:56 PM
I can't help but feel like I've just driven a new car off the lot, only to have the transmission drop out after 500 yards.

That's why warranties are there. And if it still doesn't get fixed, you'll get a brand new one...

Crusader
08-05-2006, 04:27 PM
That's why warranties are there. And if it still doesn't get fixed, you'll get a brand new one...

A quick update.... Canon sent my wife an email saying that they will not entirely honor the warrantee, and that we'll have to fork over an additional $180 to get the camera repaired or replaced. She's in the process of re-negotiating, in hopes they will honor their obligation. The problem seems to result from the fact that the camera was a gift.

As a long-time Canon user, I'm frankly quite disappointed that they'd sell a hi-tech piece of equipment that fails right out of the box, and at their reluctance to replace the item free of charge. It is my hope that they'll step up and do the right thing. Or I guess I'll be going with another brand for all future purchases.

Will keep ya posted.

Crusader
08-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Another upate...

My wife spoke with the folks at Canon today, and it seems that they'd not noticed that we'd placed the receipt in the box when we returned the camera. After a few tense moments, they located the receipt and pledged to have a working camera in our hands within a week, FREE, as per the warrantee.

Thanks to Canon, for stepping up and honoring their service commitment.

-Charlie

A quick updae (8-11-06), Canon returned the camera today and it works great!