PDA

View Full Version : Jpeg Compression

Chris
07-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Greetings all

I'm quite new to photography so my apologies if this is a tad "noobish" :D

Whenever I take photos, they come out nice and clear when uploaded to my pc. Really good quality.

However when I save them as jpeg, even at the best compression settings, they look poor qaulity.

How do you guys keep the images nice and crisp yet change them to jpeg format?

My camera is a fujifilm F10 6.1 megapixel and I currently use paint shop pro 7 for photo editing.

Many thanks for your assistance.
Chris

ericb
07-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Before editing one of your original Jpegs, open it in psp7 and save it as a tif. I don't have psp7 in front of me but it should be "File" --> "Save as" --> then select tif. After you've edited your tif file, you can then convert it back to Jpeg by saving it as a new file name such as "train1_edited.jpg". The new name will prevent you from overwriting the original Jpeg.
Remember, everytime you open and then save your original Jpeg file it will become more and more compressed, even if you save it at the highest quality setting.

Chris
07-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Just gave it a go and it worked perfectly!

Many thanks for your help
Chris

CNW4404
07-30-2006, 01:44 PM
It's a little easier just to make the edits, then hit "Save As" without going through the TIFF process, isn't it?

ericb
07-30-2006, 11:59 PM
It's a little easier just to make the edits, then hit "Save As" without going through the TIFF process, isn't it?
Yes, but if you plan on editing and saving the image more than once you need to convert the image to a lossless format such as tif so compression artifacts don't keep building up with each edit/resave. Saving and resaving a jpeg over time will make it unusable.

ddavies
08-03-2006, 10:54 AM
I save every file I keep in tif mode. Do not worry about file size, external hard drives are cheap. Preserve the very highest quality of your image. Any file posted to the web is a temporary jpg file that get deleted after it is posted.

CNW4404
08-05-2006, 01:17 AM
Yes, but if you plan on editing and saving the image more than once you need to convert the image to a lossless format such as tif so compression artifacts don't keep building up with each edit/resave. Saving and resaving a jpeg over time will make it unusable.

But then why not just keep the original file, and save the edited one (which I'm guessing will be smaller) as another JPG? There's not that much compression to make a noticeable difference there.

WembYard
08-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Silly question please - how many times can a jpeg be opened and saved before the image loss becomes apparent? Also do jpegs degrade if they are just opened, looked at then closed without doing any alterations?

Switched out
08-06-2006, 04:59 AM
Silly question please - how many times can a jpeg be opened and saved before the image loss becomes apparent?This depends on the software you are using and the options you have set. Jpeg is a lossy compression scheme IE:- it strips information out of the image file to make it smaller. So every time you save an image in JPEG format it will try re-compress the image therefor stripping more information out of the image, how much depends on the options set in the program.
Also do jpegs degrade if they are just opened, looked at then closed without doing any alterations?Nope.

Cheers,

Christine.