PDA

View Full Version : Lake Placid Railfanning

Niles
07-31-2006, 02:04 AM
Hi I'm heading to Lake Placid in August and if at all possible I want some shots of American trains. Where does AMTRAK, BNSF, UP, NS or other lines run around here. Thanks.

Frederick
07-31-2006, 02:47 AM
Everything around the area is abandoned. As you probably know, it's a very remote area. The nearest in-service line is the CP D&H Division, and that's 35-40 miles away from the map. 10-15 trains a day, I think.

AMTRAK, BNSF, UP, NS or other lines run around here.

BNSF and UP don't go much farther east than Chicago... just to avoid future confusion.

hoydie17
07-31-2006, 03:07 AM
Even fewer, count on maybe 3 to 4 freights in daylight, if you're lucky. And 2 AMTRAK. That's about it for the D&H, it's really a very nocturnal line nowadays, one of the reasons folks like Gary Knapp and myself have been using flashbulbs to shoot out there.

You might consider the Adirondack Scenic RR that runs out of Lake Placid.

www.adirondackrr.com

You won't find NS, UP or BNSF running up here unless it's just runthrough power or repaying horsepower hours. Mostly CP, CN and CSX.

Beyond that, if you go Northwest there is the CSX Montreal Line, my present stomping grounds. It's very scenic, but only sees 4 road trains per day, recently 3 of the 4 are running in darkness. There are maybe 6 "locals", 4 of which go to Canada from Massena. That's about 2 hours driving from Lake Placid. There's not much of a discernable schedule, or let's put it this way it's very "fluid" no consistency to speak of.

You can go South for about 3 hours and get the CSX Mohawk Subdivision (NYC Water Level Route) that's where your volume will be, which can exceed 60 trains per day. That just depends on how far you want to drive to see trains.

IF you do decided to trek that far, be forewarned, freights all break South at Amsterdam, NY onto what is called the Selkirk Branch, there's a flying junction there that, CSX and CP use for interchange periodically, as well as the Guilford Rail System subsidiary Springfield Terminal Railway.

Railroading in the Adirondacks isn't what it was 40 years ago I'm sad to say.

Sean