PDA

View Full Version : Railfanning in Chicago..oh boy!!!

CG_F45
08-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Well, today (lets see, 12:35 AM, so yesterday...) my dad and I did some railfanning around Chicago, spacifically in Araura, West Chicago, and Elmhurst, with some decent results. This probably my last railfanning outing of the summer :x Thankfully, the weather was good and the trains were plentiful! :D

First, this here Geep pulled up while it was switching, and it was wearing the classy new BNSF paint job:

[photoid=155834]

I like the way the Swoosh looks on the older Geep...

[photoid=155833]

I like BN, so this was really sweet!

After arriving in Elmhurst, I stood by the tracks well my dad ran his errands, and got really lucky! :D

First came some a lashup of solid SD70ACes, 4 of em! In sweet light to boot!

[photoid=155841]

About 10 minutes later, a coal train led by two of my favorite locomotives, SD90s, rumbled by:

[photoid=155843]

So, all in all a terrific day, and a great way to end the summer!

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed my report, and my pathetic attempts at being creative in my photography!! :wink:

dodi4200
08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Nice report Chris.Your shots are really great and i always like reading your reports.

NicTrain35
08-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi Chris,

Great report and very nice pictures! It must have been nice seeing three BN geeps lined up side by side.

Unfortunately, tomorrow will probably be my last railfan outing before school. School starts on Wednesday. We're supposed to have good weather tomorrow, though. :)

SD70MACMAN
08-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Great shots Chris! I really like the BN pics :-D

photogeek88
08-22-2006, 03:46 AM
Yeah Nick, I'm getting up at 6 tomorrow morning to get the most out of my Last Day Railfanning. Curse the Illinois Public School systems! Oh well, one more year of this, and I'll be in Dekalb or Evanston watching all the UP trains I could want, any time I want to blow off class! LOL

WSOR 3807
08-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Very nice shots Chris! Sounds like railfanning around Chicago is almost always pretty good. One of these days I've got to get down there again to do some actual railfanning, hopefully next summer sometime....

School doesn't start for me until September 5th, due to a rule the State of Wisconsin passed a few years back requiring that school has to start after September 1st. Our summer ends up a little bit longer than most people's, but I get less days during the year off this way. I'd almost rather start sooner and get more breaks during the year myself, but there's not much I can do about it!

Noah

NSFan14
08-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Great Shots Chris To Bad My Camera Is Broke But The Other Day In Louisville,KY I Seen This Thing To Me It Looked Like A Spary Car But I Didnt Get A Shot Of It But It Was Neat But Fortunatly I Go Railfanning Every Weekend So Hopefully I Get My Camera Going Before Winter So I Can Get Some Snow Shots...lol

SamD
08-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Very nice shots Chris! Sounds like railfanning around Chicago is almost always pretty good. One of these days I've got to get down there again to do some actual railfanning, hopefully next summer sometime....

If you get a chance in the fall (after "high sun season" is more or less over), you should come here. Summer is great if live around here, and can go out at three or four so that you get to where you're shooting about the time the light gets good, but its not so great when you have to drive two hours, and then can't shoot from 10 or 11 AM to 4 PM or so. My personal recommendations for places to visit would be the BRC yard at Clearing, which is very active and easy to shoot. Take a look at what you can see standing on a public street!

[photoid=155831]

Besides that, Blue Island and the much photographed crossing there, the BNSF race track, and the BNSF yard in Cicero (particulerly the north-east side) are good spots. If you like passanger operations, I just went out to Roosevelt Road over the Union Station yard and got three photos into the database as a result. There's also a lot of good stuff on the far south side that I don't get to as much as I would like.

Me, I'm going to be going back to school in Wisconsin pretty soon, so it'll be finding someone with a car to go out to Janesville, and staking out the ICE branch that runs by me if I want to do any railfanning over the next couple months.