PDA

View Full Version : Fatal grade-crossing collision in Chicago

DAKIBSRR
08-22-2006, 12:03 AM
August 17, 2006

CHICAGO - Two men were killed shortly after 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon in a near-west suburb when their sedan was struck by Amtrak's westbound California Zephyr at a grade crossing, according to Chicago's WGN-TV, the Chicago Tribune, and other news sources. Witnesses said the vehicle drove around lowered gates on the busy BNSF Railway main line at East and Stanley Avenues in Berwyn. Officials on Thursday morning released the identities of the victims, who were Thomas Bukinham, 37, of the 200 block of North 5th Street in Royalton, Ill., and Donald Watz, of the 1800 block of South 58th Court in Cicero, according to a Cook County medical examiner's office spokesman's comments in the Tribune.

The incident snarled service on the busy three-track BNSF line for several hours. The tracks host frequent Metra commuter trains on the line to Aurora, Ill., plus dozens of BNSF freight trains and six Amtrak trains a day. The Zephyr did not derail, and none of the 250 train passengers or crew members was injured, according to Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari, but the train was held at the site for 3 hours and 45 minutes while the incident was investigated and the wreckage cleared. Passengers were not allowed to leave the train.

Witnesses described a terrible scene at the accident site, with the silver sedan dragged some 1,400 feet west to Oak Park Avenue where there was a sudden burst of heavy smoke. The Zephyr's crew told police "the vehicle drove directly in their path," Magliari said. He could not immediately say what the train's speed limit is in that area. Witnesses reported not hearing a locomotive horn, but officials noted that the area is a "no whistle" zone for trains; all grade crossings are protected by lights, bells, and gates.

Berwyn Division Cmdr. Tom O'Halloran said there were no signs of a signal malfunction at the East Avenue crossing. He said eastbound trains were allowed to go past the site beginning at about 3:15 p.m. The Zephyr, with the same crew, resumed its journey for Omaha, Denver, Reno, and the San Francisco Bay area at 5:48 p.m., and later was reported out of Omaha running about 5 hours behind schedule. Amtrak's Southwest Chief for Kansas City, Albuquerque, and Los Angeles, which uses the same BNSF line as far as Galesburg, Ill., and is scheduled to depart Chicago 85 minutes after the Zephyr, likewise was running about 5 hours late on Thursday morning in Kansas, according to Amtrak's Web site.

NS 2557
08-22-2006, 04:46 AM
Another moron :lol: when are people going learn.

NSFan14
08-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Another moron :lol: when are people going learn.
LOL Never They'll Alwayz Be Stupid And Will Get Worst At Being Stupid...lol Its Dumb I Mean You See These Red Blinkie Lights And See Gates Going Down So What Do You Think It Is Ummmm I Dunno MAYBE A TRAIN!!!! LOL Its Crazy Out There Anymore

cmherndon
08-22-2006, 08:24 PM
LOL Never They'll Alwayz Be Stupid And Will Get Worst At Being Stupid...lol Its Dumb I Mean You See These Red Blinkie Lights And See Gates Going Down So What Do You Think It Is Ummmm I Dunno MAYBE A TRAIN!!!! LOL Its Crazy Out There Anymore

Yeah Darwin Sure Is A Mean SOB

E3429
08-24-2006, 04:21 AM
LOL. Someone died here. Hilarity.

I'm sure the train crew and the families of the victims share in your amusement. I knew there was a reason I avoid hanging around other railfans.
Grow up already.

E

ccaranna
08-24-2006, 04:39 AM

I'm sure the train crew and the families of the victims share in your amusement. I knew there was a reason I avoid hanging around other railfans.
Grow up already.

E

Amen. I wish I had a dollar for every stinkin' rail fatality thread that was created by someone who appears proud that there is at least one person more stupid and careless than themselves.

Why is this such important news? It's not.

Ru1056
08-24-2006, 04:50 AM
Amen. I wish I had a dollar for every stinkin' rail fatality thread that was created by someone who appears proud that there is at least one person more stupid and careless than themselves.

You would be rich, and I wouldn't be in as much debt.

Let the people who think it is funny to see something like that happen in person. They will change their attitude real quick.

cmherndon
08-24-2006, 04:55 AM
Let the people who think it is funny to see something like that happen in person. They will change their attitude real quick.

It's not funny at all. I saw a guy get hit on the way to school one morning back in 1991. Luckily, the guy survived, but that sort of thing is burned into your memory, even if you're just a bystander. Just think of how the crews feel...

Why is this such important news? It's not.

It isn't. This sort of thing happens on a daily basis.

NSFan14
08-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Im Not Saying Its Funny At All Im Just Saying People Are Stupid Enough To Try This Stupid Stuff And Its Gonna Get More Stupid Everyday

cmherndon
08-24-2006, 05:48 PM
LOL Never They'll Alwayz Be Stupid And Will Get Worst At Being Stupid...lol Its Dumb I Mean You See These Red Blinkie Lights And See Gates Going Down So What Do You Think It Is Ummmm I Dunno MAYBE A TRAIN!!!! LOLIm Not Saying Its Funny At All Im Just Saying People Are Stupid Enough To Try This Stupid Stuff And Its Gonna Get More Stupid Everyday

Hence the excessive use of "LOL".

NSFan14
08-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Im Just Laughing At There Stupidity

photogeek88
08-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Im Just Laughing At There Stupidity

Boy, the irony in this thread is getting pretty thick...

E3429
08-25-2006, 04:04 AM
Boy, the irony in this thread is getting pretty thick...

It Sure Is Isnt It LOL.

And it's 'their', not 'there'.

Stay in school.

E

J
08-25-2006, 04:42 AM
It isn't funny and you have to figure that sometimes there is more involved than some fool running around a gate. You don't forget the sickly sweet smell of hot motor oil when you "work" one of these accidents.

Christopher Muller
08-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Im Not Saying Its Funny At All Im Just Saying People Are Stupid Enough To Try This Stupid Stuff And Its Gonna Get More Stupid Everyday

Why Do You Capitalize Every Word? Just Wondering.

NSFan14
08-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Why Do You Capitalize Every Word? Just Wondering.
I Dunno Its Just A Habbit I Always Have Typed Like That

LAHDPOP
08-25-2006, 05:18 PM
I Dunno Its Just A Habbit I Always Have Typed Like That

It's not just annoying, it's actually incorrect. It looks ridiculous.

DAKIBSRR
08-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Had I known that this post was going to cause such an OFF THE TOPIC, BS :mad: discussion, I would have never posted it !!!!! I was trying to inform the list of another unfortunate accident involving a train. Next time I guess I have be much more careful on what I pick and choose to post.

busyEMT
08-25-2006, 08:08 PM
This is the nature of forums. You could ask the moderator(s) to lock it.

Cyclonetrain
08-25-2006, 09:33 PM
I know one of the crew members in the cab. I remember talking to him after he collision, and that he continued on the same train after the incident. He was taking it pretty well, you just have to think that it wasn't your fault, there was nothing you could do, and that its over already .

NS 2557
08-26-2006, 05:47 AM
That's what I have been telling myself for year's

Tåg
09-12-2006, 02:46 AM

Grow up already.

E

It creeps me out sometimes how many people and animals I have killed working for the railroad. The saddest part of it all was every one of the human deaths could have been avoided.

There are allot of crossings between Portland and Eugene, and allot of people trying to run the train. All we can do is plug it and pray.