PDA

View Full Version : MRL Light power move out of Seattle?!

devights
08-23-2006, 03:38 AM
So I've been railfanning BNSF's Scenic Sub for several years now and I just saw something I can't explain. I had to do a double take when I heard over the scanner a request for permission for MRL 315 to move to the siding at Skykomish. Low and behold this MRL unit comes down the tracks with four BNSF locos in tow. The only theory I can come up for this is that MRL was buying pwoer from BNSF and taking it back home or having a loco serviced or something. Does anyone have a better idea of what's going on here?
(Sorry, I don't have a decent picture, it came near sunset and my shots came out very dark)

CG_F45
08-23-2006, 04:08 AM
Well, with the MRL having recieved its SD70 ACes, it has begun leasing out some of its SD40s and SD45s, as well as some F45s. So what you may have seen was an MRL unit on lease to the BNSF, as I know that the MRL does lease stuff to the BNSF... This is only my educated guess though...

Hope this helps! :)

SD70MACMAN
08-23-2006, 09:07 AM
It happens quite often. Like I told you on the phone today BNSF may need power elsewhere. They regurally run power between Interbay, Delta Yard, Wenatchee, and Spokane. For example, the SPOEVE runs with a full train, but quite often the EVESPO will be power only. Actually...it may have been the EVESPO you saw.